• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97XJ won't start

Matt89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok after a few months of just not working well my 97xj died. I came
out this morning and it won't start. I cranks fine, it has spark (30kv in and 12kv to plug), it also has fuel pressure (40psi).

Also no error codes.

What do I want to check ? Seems like an electrical problem of some sort, bad sensor ?

thx

Matt

crank position sensor

olivedrabcj7 said:
crank position sensor

Thanks, I tried to pick one up today but napa said it was
special order so I was planning on stopping at the dealer
tomorrow on the way home from work. I could not
remember if a dead CPS caused no spark or stopped injectors
from firing but I figured a spare one was a good idea anyway.

With no CPS signal you should not have spark... :dunno: Any trouble codes? You should be able to check them by cycling the key: On, off, on, off, on - They should display where the odometer is...

-Will

xjwillyb said:
With no CPS signal you should not have spark... :dunno: Any trouble codes? You should be able to check them by cycling the key: On, off, on, off, on - They should display where the odometer is...

-Will

No trouble codes, I do have spark and fuel pressure, so it seems like something is causing injectors not to fire.

Matt

Ok I have a question... What is the sensor at the base of the distributor do ? Does it control the injectors or is it just for spark timing ?

thx

Matt89XJ said:
Ok I have a question... What is the sensor at the base of the distributor do ? Does it control the injectors or is it just for spark timing ?

thx
Both. Check for 12v on the injectors, if you dont have 12v+ look at the ASD relay or fuse link.
The ECM fires the injectors by grounding them.

Matt89XJ said:

thx
its the camshaft postion sensor and it syncs the spark with the fuel injection.

langer1 said:
Both. Check for 12v on the injectors, if you dont have 12v+ look at the ASD relay or fuse link.
The ECM fires the injectors by grounding them.

Ok So I rechecked everything tonite. Verified again I have spark (took a plug out and watched it), verified I do have fuel pressure.

I swapped in a new ASD relay also.

With key in "on" position but not cranking I see the voltage goto 12v for a second and then go back to zero.

Matt,

No start conditions are typically caused by bad MAP or Engine Coolant sensors (Low on block.). My instance required a new MAP sensor.

However, if you - or someone else - accidentally used that wire from the distributor when you were not supposed to then the ignition timing may be off (either advanced or retarded). However, I'd look into the MAP & CTS first.

Rick

Back