• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ auto trans shifting issues

DTW97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I am certain this has come up before but I will ask anyways. I just purchased a 97 automatic XJ 2wd, I am having shifting issues. The jeep seems to have alot of resistance when accelerating. The RPMs seem to climb but the transmission doesnt shift very well at all. The RPMs are erratic until it shifts into a higher gear than it evens out. We are talking climbing into the 40-45 mph range sometimes a bit lower. As well, I am having difficulty with getting the motor to start, it turns over but doesnt want to start right away. Sometimes it will fire right up, other times it takes a good 4-5 secs. Also, the other day, jeep just died, shutdown while driving through a parking lot, random.

I recently pulled a code of p1698, p0700, CEL came on but then goes off after a few hours.
Here is what I have addressed:
changed and tested TPS
voltages look ok

throttle kickdown cable adjusted

tested transmission solenoids at TCU harness they are all within spec at 14.5 ohms, standard is 11-15 ohms.

tested crankshaft position sensor NOT camshaft sensor, it reads 10.3k when it should read infinite

Now the CPS maybe bad but before I throw anymore money at this, where else could I look?! Thanks for the help all!

Last edited:
Back