• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 ZJ - Built, needs attention

LastMJ

NAXJA Forum User
FOR SALE - $6000 - Corona/Norco area

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ Laredo
235,000 Miles on odometer (but read on...)
5.2L V8, 44RE Automatic Transmission, NP249 All Wheel Drive Transfer Case
Forest Green, Dark Slate (black) Interior
Keyless Entry

Was in 4wd and Sport Utility Magazine TWICE. With purchase, you'll get a copy of each magazine. Sept 2013 issue covered the rear differential build with Currie Enterprises. Oct 2013 issue covered Clayton Long Arm suspension install at Desolate Motorsports.

Engine swapped at 214,000 with a 130,000 mile motor
Installed new lifters, oil pump, Jegs 50k volt Coil, E3 Sparkplugs, AEM Dry Flow Air Filter, Taylor 8.8mm Sparkplug wires, Intake "barrell" Clearanced internally for better/smoother air flow, Jeg's Hi-performance Cap and Rotor

7" Clayton Long Arm Suspension Kit with optional belly skid plate, Bilstein 5100 series shocks

Currie Enterprises Rock Jock 60 rear differential - Detroit, Superior 4.56 gears, Currie Enterprises Fabricated Diff Cover, 1350 yoke, dual drilled bolt pattern (5on4.5 and 5on5.5), OE Disc rear brakes

HP Dana 30 Front Differential - Superior Super 30 kit (Chromoly shafts, 30 spline), ARB (not hooked up), 4.56 gears, Currie Johnny Joint Upper Control Arm bushing replacement kit, Single piece Chromoloy truss, plated in with cold rolled mild steel plate, Barnett Performance Dana 30 gusset kit, Spicer Ball Joints, Barnett Performance Diff Cover

17x9 Black Rhino "Imperial" Wheels

315/70/17 Goodyear MT/R Kevlar (Wear ranges from 70% left to 10% left, see pictures)

Rebuilt heads installed Oct 2013 at 226,000 miles - Felpro premium gaskets used

Front bumper valance trimmed
Charcoal Canister relocated and tucked away.
Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares
Crown Automotive Euro (glass) headlights with H4 bulb
Custom headlight wiring relay system (so power is drawn from battery versus through the headlight
switch, means they are brighter - OE system is weak on ZJs) - Still uses OE switch inside
O2 sensors replaced at 220,000 miles (popped a code on 1, replaced both just because)
Catalytic Converter was replaced at 214,000 miles
No Muffler, has a turn down behind the Cat
OE class 3 hitch with OE 7-pin trailer wiring
Aluminum Drop Hitch with keyed alike BOLT hitch pin
Pioneer aftermarket stereo with aux cord
Polk door speakers
Kevin's Offroad steering box brace
Replaced Power Steering box at 225,000 miles
Rampage Aftermarket fog lights tied into OE switch
Trans fluid and filter changed at 214,000 miles - OE deep pan installed, modified to add drain plug
Transfer case fluid changed at 214,000
ARB mini compressor included with wiring, no switches - Not installed

The bad:
Found water in engine oil back in May 2014. Been driven minimally since.
Non-op registration was done as soon as it was taken off the road in May 2014
A/C does not work. Believed to be a bad compressor.
Headliner needs to be recovered, Cardboard is still intact and installed
ABS disconnected due to new rear differential and modified front differential (shows light on the dash)
Cracked windshield

Has had a sputtering issue 3 times, only after long highway drives but not every long drive. Gave a code once, misfire. Seemed to be a consequence of the issue, not the issue itself. No codes otherwise. Fuel Tank did not get hot. Fuel pressure was always spot on with recommended PSI when not sputtering, was not able to check fuel pressure when actually sputtering though as I was on the side of the road without a fuel pressure gauge. Tank was dropped in April 2014, no major sediment found, no breakages found. Completely cleaned and detailed every part of the fuel tank, fuel pump module, screens and entire fuel pump, replaced fuel filter again. Problem did not happen again. I daily drove this rig for 3 years and never had a problem with 99.99% of the drives - even up to Las Vegas and back, Barstow, Johnson Valley, Ocotillo Wells, San Diego, LA, etc.

I've been going back and forth on selling this thing for a long while now. I bought a JKU over the summer and my wife likes it better (haha).

Serious inquires only PLEASE.

$6000 and this beast is yours. Call, text or email works.
Jake, 657-229-3478, [email protected]

hey, quick question. what muffler did you use, and how loud/annoying was it with the dump where it is? I'm using the clayton brackets on my zj and need to deal with the exhaust, that's why i ask.

hey, quick question. what muffler did you use, and how loud/annoying was it with the dump where it is? I'm using the clayton brackets on my zj and need to deal with the exhaust, that's why i ask.

Didn't have any muffler. Would need to be a really small one to fit it in.

It only got old after you were on the road for awhile. You'd definitely hear it with all the windows up but I could still hold a conversation on the phone.

thanks. I can definitely fit one, but i have an aftermarket cat, which saves a bunch of room. im going to try a thrush turbo or something, they're pretty compact.

thanks. I can definitely fit one, but i have an aftermarket cat, which saves a bunch of room. im going to try a thrush turbo or something, they're pretty compact.

Yea, then you should be good. If I had moved the cat further forward them I could have used a tube style muffler probably.

Good luck with your build! I loved the Clayton set up.

HA !!! my buddy/co-worker bought this...

Hope he realizes what he's got... there's allot of cool there...

Curt

Back