• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj sport 5.3 swap

Doesn't sound like you were anywhere near ready to start up. What else is undone or not hooked up? Lol

just about everything non essential for the engine to run haha

after some playing around with it i got it to fire, turns out and engine will run if it has fuel in the tank... i forgot when i parked it it was nearly empty, it had just enough fuel to fill the lines but thats about it, the angle of my driveway didnt help much either

it runs like crap tho, its misfiring on at least one cylinder(that i confirmed), i suspect more but it'll have to wait till next weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5mOT9sXVbw

Last edited:
not a whole lot to update, been busy with work

but i have fabbed up the rad mount an modded the core support, i just need to add a couple touches and some paint(ill take pics tommorow, ran out of day light)
other than that just been cleening up the wiring a bit

im hoping that it will be good to go by the first/second week of october so i can drive it to florida if work sends me there

still not a whole lot to update been busy with work and maintenance on my new DD, an 02 TDI(ALH) jetta, needed the mpg since im also trying to save for a house, and i drive about 100 miles a day

still not a whole lot to update been busy with work and maintenance on my new DD, an 02 TDI(ALH) jetta, needed the mpg since im also trying to save for a house, and i drive about 100 miles a day
Oooooo good choice. I run a European repair shop. The ALH is bulletproof...and it gets 40mpg+ without cheating ; )

Oooooo good choice. I run a European repair shop. The ALH is bulletproof...and it gets 40mpg+ without cheating ; )

its got 220k and still purrs like a loud clacking kitten :) haha

i like it a lot, it pulls really well, and is a 5 speed( i wouldnt even bother with an auto vw) its gotten an oil change( with proper diesel oil) an LM diesel purge, new fuel filter, and new trans fluid. still need to do a coolant flush change the t-stat and temp sender and it should be good to go..at least mechanically

Time for a straight pipe exhaust and a bigger turbo!

ehh maybe in the distant future,if i have it that long that is. i tend not to keep vehicles very long( except the jeep, ive had it the longest) plus any money i have thats not going to the jeep is all going to savings so i'll likely just do enough to keep it from imploding

here she is, i think ive officially dubbed...or vdubbed it(if you will hehe) Panzer :)

So lets talk about your fuel pump wiring. What all have you done at the PDC so far?

So lets talk about your fuel pump wiring. What all have you done at the PDC so far?

at the pdc ive run the 12v trigger from the gm pcm to the blue 12v trigger on the relay from the ign switch, and grounded the brown wire that was the original - trigger for the jeep pcm

im thinking of saying screw the jeep relay and just use a separate one on the GM fuse block i made

Yeah that schematic is a lot different than mine.

at the pdc ive run the 12v trigger from the gm pcm to the blue 12v trigger on the relay from the ign switch, and grounded the brown wire that was the original - trigger for the jeep pcm

im thinking of saying screw the jeep relay and just use a separate one on the GM fuse block i made

What you've done should work so you should verify a few things with a meter.
Are you seeing 12v trigger from the GM PCM for 3 seconds at key on?
Are you seeing 12v trigger from the PCM at the relay A21?
Do you have 12v supply going to the relay on A14?
Double check where you terminated the ground from relay K31.
If all that is good and you see no output at relay A141 your relay is likely bad.

finally tinkered with the jeep a bit

got the rad mount mostly done, and the trans cooler ready to mount, the big dual circuit cooler i bought was way to big so im reusing the oe explorer cooler i was using before, ill get a second one for my ps fluid eventually

also the hood hits the rad cap/fill neck since i mounted it a bit high, but its low enought to still clear with some clearancing

Back