• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ 5.5" lift, locked, bumpers, sort of a project

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
Pics at

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad226/wilkesbajaman/?newest=1

Like most guys that post their jeeps for sale, I never thought would be selling mine. The fact is, I just don’t have the time anymore.

Here’s the deal:

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with just over 160k on the engine.

LIFT: 4.5” RE Superflex lift, with 1” spacer up front, it sits level, has the normal lean of RE lifts, but its not bad. I recently put on the Rough Country drop brackets as well.

AXLES:

REAR: Ford 8.8, 4.10s, modified Trac-loc. I have never spun one tire anywhere I have gone, but the tires do not hang-up or chirp around turns. To me, it is the ideal setup.

FRONT: disco Dana 30 converted to non-disco using 96+ axles, 4.10 gears, Aussie locker just installed in March

TIRES: 32x11.50x16 Swamper SSR on Crager Soft 8 wheels. There are 5 of the swampers, all on wheels. I would approximate that they have about 1100 miles on them, it is hard to say because I was always swapping in my other tires when I had to drive on the asphalt to save the swampers, but for a month or two I had the swampers on the whole time. All 5 of the tires are in great shape.

The other tires that are included are Hankook FR04 235/75/15 on American Racing wheels. These are nice to have if you’re traveling far, or if you find other tires that need 15” wheels. The tread is decent, probably like 40%.

Other MODS:

- Front & rear bumpers, made by a friend of mine out of 3x6x1/4” steel tube. They came out pretty good and are very beefy. I literally installed them at the end of August. Theyre spray painted, not powder coated or anything, they are nice, but obviously not as a nice as the ones you buy.

- All other mods started in December 2008, I barely drove it (sadly), I was working on it, driving it some, and in my last semester of college. It was barely used since I lifted it.

- RE Sway bar drop, and new MOOG bushings
- Skyjacker 7000 steering stabilizer
- Cobra CB with 20 ft cable and Firestick 3ft antenna, never installed
- All new brake lines, front and rear
- Advanced Adapters SYE on the NP231

Also included with this Jeep:

- The original AW4, the bellhousing was cracked so I swapped in another AW4 from a 96 XJ. This tranny worked 100% fine when it was swapped.

- Custom rock rails, made by the same friend that made my bumpers, they are ready to put on the jeep, just need to get self tapping screws and mount them

- Custom roof rack, made by the same friend. It was made from 1” DOM steel tubing, and has 4 PIAA lights on the front and 2 Harbor Freight lights for the rear, I purchased Surco ( I think) $80 gutter rail mounts but never installed the rack.

- Brand new kit of UPOL Raptor Liner ($110) which I was going to use for the interior

The Bad:

Interior carpet is torn out, multiple holes in the floor need patching, complete Raptor bed liner kit included. I also have 18 ga. galvanized steel to fix the floor. The worst holes in the floor are right next two the two rear fenderwells, and in the passenger floor. Please note that these were not rusted through. I was looking long term and cut out anything that looked like it would get bad in the future.

When I had it painted, some of the interior panels and parts weren’t reinstalled. I was waiting until after I sprayed the interior with the bedliner. All these panels are included. One day the power door lock switch stopped working, I don’t know why.

One day when I was out wheeling with 2 friends, I moved the passenger seat back and heard a hissing sound, reached under and grabbed what I figured was probably a punctured beer can, turns out it was a can of red primer (for the rock rails), the primer managed to spray most of the front interior, and exterior, but the exterior stuff (except for the roof) I cleaned off right away. Youll see it in the interior pics

Needs oil pressure sending unit, it broke off near the filter. If I get to the junkyard, I’ll get one.

Does not have speedo gear, therefore theres no speedo reading or odometer reading. I swapped the T-cases in late july and drove it seriously like 10 miles, its been acting up so this was not a concern.

Water temp gauges doesn’t work, I don’t know why. I installed a brand new coolent tempo sensor (NAP)

Power steering leaks a little. I think one of the tranny lines leaks, because every now and then something leaks and hits the header and causes smoke, could be power steering or tranny fluid, I don’t know for sure.

I never adjusted the shift lever on the np231, so it doesn’t go into 4wd. This needs to be fixed before any real driving is done.

PRICE: I really don’t know, my pics aren’t that great, the jeep has everything but needs installing and some work, tires are in great shape, and it has a huge roof rack, rock rails, bumpers etc. some just need to be installed. I wanted this jeep to look nice on the street, but also be very capable in the woods. I had it crawling once and mudding once, it IS capable, and the exterior looks nice, interior needs finishing

$3500 obo

You must take everything, tranny, extra tires, roof rack, rock rails, etc

I know it could use an alignment, I have it scheduled for Wednesday.

I’m located in PA, an hour north of Harrisburg, an hour south of wilkes barre, and an hour west of Allentown and reading, and about 2-2.5 hrs from the philly area

My cell # is 570-617-9515

Even if you are not interested, let me know what you guys think

Re: 96 XJ 5.5" lift, locked, bumpers

roof rack is sold

interior still needs a little work to finish this jeep....a few holes patched, raptor liner kit is new in box ready to put in

otherwise it is a beast. Aussie locker up front, 8.8 tracloc in the rear. Looks nice, and drives nice on and off road

$2600

TO THE TOP!!!

Ok guys i need some info. Why is there no interest in this? price too high? needs floors patched and interior put back in and thats too much work? im not going to give it away, i understand the market/economy sucks right now. Please be brutally honest here gvuys, need to know why this aint selling

Ok guys i need some info. Why is there no interest in this? price too high? needs floors patched and interior put back in and thats too much work? im not going to give it away, i understand the market/economy sucks right now. Please be brutally honest here gvuys, need to know why this aint selling

You'd probably do better parting it out, if you have the space and the time, and are OK with the extra work. I think especially around here, a lot of people already have projects or 2 or 3 and aren't looking for another half finished one that probably wasn't going in the direction they would have taken it anyways, especially with how cheap stock unmolested XJ's are now. You see alot of XJ's on here for sale that don't sell, take this one: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011100 that was a sweet Jeep ready to rock and he couldn't sell it but probably made out better in the end parting it anyways.

I added up what you've got and without even getting too deep into it I think you could get over $3k in parts. If you really worked it to the end maybe a lot more.

:sunshine:

If I was in the market for a Jeep right now, I'd be considering it, but looking over it with a fine tooth comb. Mostly because I saw the thread about your transfer case and it makes me wonder what other crazy things have happened to it.

just my 0.02

- Ken

sounds like a hoopty

hahaha, its not a hoopty, but thanks for being honest i guess

the TC turned out to be fine, just looked at it friday. full of fluid, i didnt hook up the speedo electrical plug, but otherwise it is fine

i guess if i ever get desperate i will part it out. right now i drive it on the weekend around the area, in the woods going hunting and all that

i dont trust it to drive 500 miles, but it definitly works good doing what i do with it

thanks for the comments guys, like i said, ill keep it unless i get really depserate, or unless i find someone who wants to trade for an MJ or any other american made pickup truck

I know someone that might be interested in the rear axle...possibly the front too. If the price was right. I know you arent parting..just saying.

I ran into this issue when I was trying to sell my Jeep. I was pricing it lower than what I wanted, but I was still finding no interest. More interest in the parts that I had on it than in the whole Jeep...and mine doesnt have the issues that you've stated.

Good luck whatever you decide to do man!!

J.

all issues fixed other than the floors...a friend is getting me some metal to fix those

$2600

Needs 4 holes in the floor fixed. Com check this thing out

everything is fixed other than the floors. Paint has been removed from interior, dana 35 was put in in place of the ford 8.8, the 8.8 needs a pinion bearing (you may have seen my other posts about a horrible noise when decellerating) and my transfer case linkage was adjusted. Everything works good right now, just need to patch the floor holes and raptor line it...I am starting on that today

not happening guys....dont need the money that bad and dont have the time or space to do that...i need a pickup truck more than anything....and for $2500 this really aint worth selling...i might just take the insurance off of it and park it and use it now and then on weekends.....once the floor is straightened out and bedlined this will be a pretty nice jeep.....runs great...i guess if the motor died for some reason I would part it...otherwise no

BUMP

this is still for sale $2750 OBO takes everything, I just got a Ford 8.8 axle (4.10 LSD) to swap in. Also comes with spare tires (235/75/15 Hankook all terrains)

Ill sell for 2200 without the swampers

interior is also RAPATOR lined now

Back