• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 to 97 trans swap

dchief61

NAXJA Forum User
I have a donor 96 4wd going into a 97 2wd conversion. I am aware there are several threads on the swap, but still confused on the electrical and if it is feasible. The 96 has four plugs in the wire harness, and the 97 has two. Do I ignore the two coming from the TC on the 96? Also, does anyone have a schematic on the plug switch for the remaining plugs?

Also, I see the TMC may be confused and throw a check engine. Will I be better off just going to a salvaged 97 w/TC at a junk yard. Thanks....

If you have a 1997 XJ:

• 1990.5-1996 AW4s are bolt-in, except you have to cut and splice the wiring harness connector. Again, 5 butt-splice crimp terminals and a few minutes and this is done. You will have an EXTRA connector for the transfer case indicator lamp wiring (possibly depending on which transfer case you have) - plug the transfer case switch into the one it was previously plugged into, NOT the one built into the harness on the new AW4! You might want to cut the extra one off or tape it up to avoid confusion.

From http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245215003#post245215003

Thanks for the reply. I read that thread but it refers to a 4wd/4wd swap out. I am conducting a 2wd to 4wd swap. The trans is a 96 and I am trying to put it in a 2wd 97. Sounds like I may be in trouble with this idea.

contact bigkinthexj, I know hes done at least one 2wd-4x4 swap. not sure if he has done this exact swap.

Yup, Pm'd OP. If anyone else finds this and has questions, feel free to pm me.

And OP, you can respond to my pm here. Other people might have the same question, plus my inbox is almost full haha

Last edited:
I believe i read somewhere that the wiring for the 97 transmision is a different color code than all other years. Cant find that info anywhere but thats what i remember. Check with Alboy97XJ. I know he has swapped in a few trannys into his rig. He also might be able to shed some light on this.

The colors on the 97 2wd match the 2000 4wd I have, perhaps its a pre 97 thing? maybe op can chime in on what his 96 wire colors are.

on the transmission connector (black for the 97), which has the speed wires and the solenoid wires, 5 pins total. Id tell you what mine are, but I'm blessed with green blinded-ness so the colors look different to me than they do to you! haha!

I am reluctantly become somewhat of a tranny expert with these different years. I have found out quite a bit since my last post. The 97 electrical is stand alone. To move forward, I called around and found a 97 4wd w/TC at a junkyard. The guy swore it was a 97, 90k miles. Sounded good until I got it home and guess what the plugs were wrong. Examination showed it has the front and rear speed sensors. He lied, it was a 98 or later. After some choice words and a little examination and more study of service manuals, I came up with the fix.

I will use the 98+ tranny and TC the guy lied about.

I will be taking the intermediate piece between the tranny and TC off the 96 4wd donor I have and use it on the 98. It has the early speed sensor, rotor, etc.

I will be using the plugs off the 97 2wd original trans., for the speed sensor. and computer electrical.

On the 98, I will just cut off the wire to the front speed sensor and leave it alone. The computer should not know it is a different tranny, the neutral switch on the 98/97 is the same, speed-o the same. Everything is 23 spline. I just won't have a TC light.

This should eliminate the possibility of throwing codes.

The post noted below was a god send and I couldn't have figured it out without your gracious time and effort you took to post that information. Thank you kastein....

Originally Posted by kastein
From http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.ph...#post245215003

If anything doesn't work out I will be back with an update. Actually, I will be back regardless to let you know it worked. It's gonna take a couple days to switch everything around. Thanks to all.

sounds like you got it. I'm not quite sure what part you're referring to when you say

"I will be taking the intermediate piece between the tranny and TC off the 96 4wd donor I have and use it on the 98. It has the early speed sensor, rotor, etc."

why change anything?
Cut the extra speedo sensor wires
swap the 97 output speed sensor onto the 98's tcase
be done with it.
theres no need to mess with changing all of the connectors, they should be the same from 97-98.

have you checked the solenoids with a multimeter?

Hi guys im doing this 96 trans swap into a 97 and at the moment im trying to splice the harnesses together but dont know what wires go to what. if you could help me id appreciate it. Thanks in advandce.

I've done this swap twice. It should be obvious, the wire colors match up IIRC.

But, if you PM me you're email address, i'll send you the wiring diagram for a 97 and a pre 97 so you can figure it out.

Back