• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96- to 97+ Door Swap

asatxj said:
I noticed that they are tacked to the door. The rear one seems to be the same so I'll just cut the front one out. The question is how do they attach at the top? (sorry for the partial hijack here)

I used a spotweld cuter to to remove the front rail and mounted it to my 92 doors with pop rivets. The late model window regulator has to be shimmed out about 3/8" to get it aligned right.

xjohnnyc said:
And the doors were only $22.50 each - minus panels and mirrors.

Damn junkyards here want 150 each for 97+ doors.

REDDOGG.XJ said:
I used a spotweld cuter to to remove the front rail and mounted it to my 92 doors with pop rivets. The late model window regulator has to be shimmed out about 3/8" to get it aligned right.

Sweet, thanks for the intel! I may try this one on Christmas break!!

Kejtar said:
you pull or they pull?

Ha, thats with me pulling em. I can't imagine how much it would be with them pulling em.

Dingo509 said:
Have fun with the wiring. I've completed both back doors and the passenger front. i haven't tackled the drivers side front yet. If you have any Q's let me know and i can see if i can help you out with which wires go where.

Dingo
Did you get to the front drivers side yet? I was able to wire everything up but the internal lock/unlock switch. I had schematics for both of the years (96 and 98) in front of me, I'm pretty sure that I had all the wires lined up right but when I plugged the switch plug (the big one: C1 IIRC) it'd blow the fuse. I then hooked up a meter to it and it looks like when the lock or unlock is applied the wire that delivers power to lock or unlock also shorts out against every other connection in the switch :confused: One possibility is that the switch is bad, the other is that I am missing something obvious. Btwsince , everything else works: all the windows happily slide up and down, I temporarily clipped the wire that brings power to the lock/unlock.

Kejtar said:
Did you get to the front drivers side yet? I was able to wire everything up but the internal lock/unlock switch. I had schematics for both of the years (96 and 98) in front of me, I'm pretty sure that I had all the wires lined up right but when I plugged the switch plug (the big one: C1 IIRC) it'd blow the fuse. I then hooked up a meter to it and it looks like when the lock or unlock is applied the wire that delivers power to lock or unlock also shorts out against every other connection in the switch :confused: One possibility is that the switch is bad, the other is that I am missing something obvious. Btwsince , everything else works: all the windows happily slide up and down, I temporarily clipped the wire that brings power to the lock/unlock.

No i haven't been able to get to the driver side yet, it has become my DD again so i can't tear it that far apart yet. plus i have to work outside and im a wuss when it gets cold. If i get a chance to work on it soon or you figuere it out let's post so we can see what the fix is.

Dingo

Back