• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95XJ - No start - Fuel problem?

I solved my cold and warm weather gremlin problem by getting a second jeep. I use one in the summer (the one with winter gremlins), the other in the winter (the one that overheats, LOL), LMAO!!!

I figured you might need a good laugh about now.

I would take some time to back up and start over, recheck everything that might be the least temp sensitive. Is there spark at plug #1 for instance on the sold start morning?

Thanks, laughing is better screaming and cussing.

I went out to verify spark, but of course now that it's been sitting in the sun for a few hours it started after 10-15 seconds of cranking.

It sounds like there's a loose connection somewhere, either in the ECU, or the coil or a ground somewhere. I can tell when it's getting close to starting. When there's no chance of it starting it just cranks fast and strong, but when it's about to start the cranking will intermittently slow and sounds weak like it all of the sudden doesn't have enough cranking amps, I'll see if I can get a video with audio.

Tried to get a video of what it sounds like during a difficult start, looks like I'll have to wait until later tonight (after sundown) or tomorrow morning....it fired right up.

Current working theory: Bad ECU, near/below freezing temperatures something is contracting and losing contact, or moisture is freezing and pushing something apart.

It was just above freezing this morning when I was testing this, so I'm not 100% convinced I've found the issue yet, tomorrow should be a better test.

Went out this morning and tried to start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bouXV1jS3jY

To test my theory I did this:
http://i3.minus.com/ibvGInce1ZbVwr.jpg

After about 10 minutes I tried to start it again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYTbGY1XMaA

Like I said, not entirely conclusive, but it's somewhat promising.

In the second video you can hear the sound I was trying to describe when it's close to starting.

Word of warning to those that might read and try this.
Not all brake cleaner aerosols are alike. Many are non-flammable and have chlorinated solvents in the formula which you never want in the combustion chamber as they form hydrochloric and hydroflouric acid as combustion by products. :gag:

If the product has the word Chlor or flour in the ingredient name, like perchlorethylene do not use it as starter fluid. Ingredients such as toluene, acetone, MEK, xylene, ethanol, methanol, commonly found in the carburetor cleaner formulas works well.

95' XJ 4.0 Auto - Been having trouble starting lately. It will crank and crank, builds oil pressure, but doesn't start.

It looks to be a fuel issue. If I spray some brake cleaner (I didn't have any starter fluid) onto the K&N and then crank right away it will start up and continue to run. Once it's stopped, if I don't wait too long it will start back up, but it takes several ~5sec crank attempts and I need to step on the throttle.

It almost seems like the fuel pump isn't priming. Is there a separate circuit for the fuel pump during a cranking vs. running condition?

FIXED!

I fixed this several months back but forgot to come back and update this thread; hopefully I can save some other Jeeper a lot of headaches.

It was the Crankshaft Position Sensor... :-/

Pro-tip: I had tested the CPS using the factory specified test procedure and it checked OK, but it appears that the sensor was only working intermittently. Put the new sensor in and it fired right up. I was simultaneously elated that the problem was resolved and pissed off at myself for taking so long to fix it.

It's been starting right up now for several months (and no more random stalling), so even though other things seemed to temporarily fix the issue this was definitely the root cause all along.

Back