• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 xj cherokee

Dceramic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 xj Cherokee sport , and I am new this forum So thanks to all for interest and help . below you see what I have to work on.
It has no-
-- 2 button trans and a recvr in the headliner ... I purchased a 55215544 to replace the old one. It had a burnt wire -----Yellow which I believe is a 12 v wire....
---the Heater control is crap hi speed only ,, so I have one of those coming - new switch and slide control....A/C wont turn on??
--- need a photo of the 2 connectors at the heater control or the actual connector cut off from a Harness
---the radio will not Hold a preselected channel key off/on .... some thing to do with power on all the time at the radio
---rear windshield wiper dash button wont wipe but I hear the washer motor run.
---a few minor oil leaks oil pan , valve cvr, filter housing ,,,...repairing that will keep drivway cleaner

So what I asking for is to help me locate a pretty good schematic for keyless entry , door lock , radio , heater A/C , wiper arena .

and locating a 2button transmitter

Plans are to replace carpets and headliner seat covers down the line..

thank for the read for your time
Dennis :us: :worship:

Heater stuck on hi means that the resistor pack is blown. Pretty easy fix. You will find it mounted on the heater box just above the passengers left foot. It has a set of 4 wires going to it and is removed with 2 sheet metal screws. You should be able to find one in a junkyard. Here is a picture of what you should be looking for as well as an ebay listing for a replacement:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Blowe...p-Cherokee-1995-1993-1994-Q337KK/173710171936
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cherokeeforum.com%2Fattachments%2Ff2%2F289224d1464790077-blower-motor-issues-96-xj-blower-motor-resistor.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

As for the power locks, I found it much easier to simply install a "bulldog" like this one: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Products/500000129-model-ez-30ke-vehicle-keyless-entry-system.aspx

There are 2 relays behind the passenger side kickplate. Those drive the power door lock circuit and it is pretty easy to wire the bulldog into it for remote entry.

For the wiper, the motor may be bad or siezed. I would remove the rear hatch cover (2 screws in the top corners and then carefully pry the 8-10 "press in" plastic retainers until they free. Once the connectors are all disconnected, you simply push up from the bottom to get the cover to release at the top (the hatch cover has an "L" shaped channel from end to end that sits in a black plastic rail that Jeep installs.

Once the cover is off you can inspect the motor to make sure the wires are getting power. If so, you can easily change it out with a junkyard part. I think I may have one around here somewhere. Note that some years (forget which) have a relay mounted with the motor. If this has gone bad it is an easy fix to replace it.

The schematics in the Hayne's manual for this XJ are pretty accurate.

HTH
Todd

Last edited:
Heater stuck on hi means that the resistor pack is blown. Pretty easy fix. You will find it mounted on the heater box just above the passengers left foot.

Agree, probably the resistor pack. A burnt resistor pack is often caused by the bearings in the blower motor going bad, which means higher current draw and less air blowing across the resistor pack.

lawsoncl - thanks for the link to the manual - reviewed some of the very helpful info
tjmotter - all of your info is valid to me and I have put it to use ... the blower conn. was missing so pin position id helps to speed control or short out ... same occurrence with the slide control -a/c to defer. Once I found a complete control at pick n pull all colors lined up and I was abled to crimp them and the change out the resistor to finish it completely
will check out the relays and "bulldog" system... still trying to get a fob ... online company has them for a reasonable price ...so if the fob works then I don't have to redo that part .
the wiper stuff will pump to the rear wiper but it seems clogged .and looking at wires fuses and sw for the rear ... for which the manual is of great help

SOOOO thanks to All for the help

It has no-
-- 2 button trans and a recvr in the headliner ... I purchased a 55215544 to replace the old one. It had a burnt wire -----Yellow which I believe is a 12 v wire....

So what I asking for is to help me locate a pretty good schematic for keyless entry , door lock , radio , heater A/C , wiper arena .

and locating a 2button transmitter

Welcome to NAXJA, Dennis.

I can offer a bit of info on your keyless entry system, as my '92 used to have a similar setup (the earlier one-button version), but you may not find it encouraging.

That vintage keyless setup is IR-based - as a 93, you likely have the two-button one that _can_ be "matched" to different receiver (a lucky break for you). Would you be willing to share where you found a fob? My 92 has the older one-button that was "hard-wired", and the OEM remote's circuit board was disintegrating into powder back in 1999, so if this is a used OEM, I'd be leery of it holding up for long. I only ever found one guy making aftermarket fobs for Jeep IR keyless - a fellow named "Piland".

Piland's website went offline mid-2015 (according to the Wayback machine), and he stopped offering two-button ones in late 2008). As far as I know, one-button remotes are now all but extinct - there's probably a couple still-functioning ones around, but I'd wager I could count them on my fingers. I bought a Piland remote for my truck and used it daily for nearly 10 years, but a 97+ headliner swap caused me to replace it with a paired remote/receiver set out of a 95 Chrysler LH sedan. I still have the receiver and Piland transmitter around somewhere and they may still work, but even when brand-new, the IR remote never worked any further away from the truck than up against the outside of the windows.

RF-based systems like the one I got out of the LH sedan have much better range and are nicer to use, so keep the idea of installing a "modern" aftermarket keyless system as a backup plan.

I wish I knew why Piland's site shut down - whether he just couldn't get the parts any more to make the remotes (he stopped offering the two-buttons ones in late 2008), if he retired, or if he passed away. He was the only person I was ever aware of that offered replacement IR remotes, and he had to build a "box" to figure out how to build one-button remotes. If he's gone and his decoder box hasn't been preserved, the knowledge of how to "code" one-button IR remotes may well have been lost forever (I'm sure Chrysler no longer has such information any more - they couldn't get me an OEM remote in 2001, let alone now).

Back