• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92xj 4.0 H/O oil pressure?

It is a "press" fit--if that sucka ain't tight, it ain't right. Bang it in there with a mallet. You can chamfer the edge of the tube to get it started. It will fit.

Hello one way of doing it is to set the oil pump on a wood stove or hot plate till it get hot (not shoking but as hot as you can pick up with a glove) Get a can of Dust remover turn the can upside down and spray the end of the tube( watch because its will get down to around -40)till its covered with ice pick up the pump and the tube should slide right in make sure you get it in the first time and lined up you only have about 3 or 4 sec before the temp is the same. And you can't move it I have done this a lot with pressed fit stuff.

Holy crap! Are you serious? 4.0L's are notorious for having this problem stock. With 10w30 they will run at 10psi when hot and at idle, and 40-45psi when the rpm's are up, of when it's cold out. They did this when NEW. If you wanna bring the oil pressure up, throw some 20w50 in it and wait till your lifters start clicking to realize that you made a huge mistake. It has nothing to do with the filter. It's just a 4.0L, not a 350.

I can tell a diffance with some filters and its not my imagation if I use a fram or super tech filter or STP my oil pressure dose drop about 10-15 lbs when driving or at idle.I am useing wix now and have put a manual gauge on it and tested it did it sunday just for kicks because of reading this thread at start up cold gauge read 73 lbs after warm at idle was 37 lbs if I rev it i get around 61 to 63 at 3,000 rpms after a fast run down the interstate and go up a off ramp and cluch it at the top it drops to 22 then comes back up to 48 driving at 40 to 50. Mines a 92 with 161,000

Jeep 4.0 oil pressure specs:

*At least 13 psi at hot idle
*37-75 psi over 1600 rpms

If you're within these ranges, you are in spec.

I've seen quite a bit of variation in oil pressure within different 4.0 engines, but that does not mean that the one with the lower oil pressure is in worse shape than the one with higher oil pressure. It is simply a "characteristic" of that particular engine.

when it gets warm idle and the pressure drops i can hear the lifters and i shut it off right away.

anyone know how to prime a new pump?

Just my $.2 and not wanting to make this into another filter thread. I used a fram filter, the one with the rubber grip on the end, and saw my pressure drop. The only reason I used it was because I had done some engine work on the 4.0 HO and wanted to clean some of the gunk out before the good stuff went in. After I took the fram filter off (500 miles later) i realized the inside had collapsed. Changed the oil, used Mobile 1 and a Mobile 1 filter. Pressure came back up to where I felt comfortable. Haven't had a problem since.

you can prime a new pump by packing it with grease...but it's best to spin it by hand/drill via the distrbutor hole once assembled

or take a drill and make a rod that will fit the pump and do it that way.I have dont it a lot of times like that.

My experience is that if the oil filter doesn't make a difference, replacing the con rod bearings will. I did this on my 90 @147K and it brought it back to normal 40 @ idle and 55-60 at speed.

Back