• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

Anti-wrap bar is complete. Shock hoops are well on their way. Wednesday and Saturday will be two very busy days as I have to finish it all this weekend so that I can break in the gears before Jeep Jamboree.

37052901880_45189dd05b_c.jpg

37279240582_04117aa20f_c.jpg

37279240402_5c6e9516d6_c.jpg

37451509315_82a9e12d39_c.jpg

How did you come up with anti wrap design? I am very intrigued with your design.

Barnes 4wd sells an anti-wrap kit. It includes the axle mounts, shackle mount/bushing, shackle, heim joint for shackle, and 2 more bushings.

On the last anti-wrap bar I made, it was very similar in design with the exception that the upper arm was fixed/welded to the lower arm. The problem with that was that it was not adjustable. I could not add preload and it was only usable with the exact set up that I had the jeep at at that time. With the upper adjustable, I can add preload to help control torque twist. I can also lift/lower the jeep without having to build a whole new bar. My last one had the shackle mounted off the TC skid I had. This time I wanted a more solid mount. The crossmember is welded to the frame and the center drops out if I should ever need to pull the TC or trans. It also hangs down the same as the factory trans crossmember. Ill just make a flat skid that bolts to both cross members and call it good.

Also on this one, the rear diff is shifted 3" towards the passenger side. This allowed me to move the anti-wrap bar 3" closer to the center of the vehicle which will also greatly help with torque twist. This bar is also 6" longer than the previous which means less force is transmitted into the frame as it now has a longer moment on the axle rotation.

What size rear shocks did you end up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're 12" Bilsteins. I had them in the front but when I lowered the jeep they were too long. I had another pair sitting in the garage I threw up front and now the bilsteins will be in the rear.

Ignore how low the hoops are in the pics. They're just sitting in the holes. They'll be about 5-6" taller than that.

Last edited:
Saturday was a productive day. Finished the shock mounts, painted, traction bar set, shocks installed, ebrake cables set, and started on the exhaust. I had to stop to head to Raleigh for my mother's bday. I have to return the muffler I bought since I didnt pay attention to the inlet/outlet locations. I bough an offset in/centered out instead of a centered in/offset out. I did get the rest of the exhaust welded up so all that's left is to install the muffler.

During the week, I'll be doing some finishing touches like reinstalling the carpet, double checking all nuts/bolts, trimming front fender more, and then driving to break in the rear gears. It looks like I'll most likely be changing the gear oil at URE the night before the Jamboree unless I can find time to drive a ton and then change the oil before Wednesday night.

I'll get pics at lunch today.

that is looking legit! Are you going to seal around the shocks to prevent carbon dioxide getting into the cabin?

My exhaust runs all the way out the back of the jeep. While it's not perfectly sealed (there are 2 clamps used for the muffler), majority is dumped just inches from the rear of the vehicle. I have looked into different ways of "sealing" but it's mostly for water/dirt infiltration.

So, to update the list posted earlier, here's where I stand...

Anti-wrap bar build DONE
-purchase DOM
-weld in cross member
-build anti-wrap bar (lower will be adj on one end and upper will be adj. on both)

Ebrake Cables Star wheel adjustment needed
-extend ebrake threaded rod
-tie up extra length in cable to keep out of spinning objects

Exhaust Done minus an extra hanger needed
-Everything from the head back is being replaced
-Purchase down tube
-Purchase muffler
-Install all new stuff

Rear shocks DONE
-Cut holes in floor for shock hoops
-weld on frame stiffeners
-mount hoops
-weld in shop tabs
-mount shocks
-tie shocks into cage

Steering DONE...for now
-Not 100% sure what I want to do here right now. Been playing with ideas. I've got new track bar brackets for frame and axle side and also laying out some high steer plans.

TC Skid
-simple flat skid mounted to trans cross-member and anti-wrap cross member

My exhaust runs all the way out the back of the jeep. While it's not perfectly sealed (there are 2 clamps used for the muffler), majority is dumped just inches from the rear of the vehicle. I have looked into different ways of "sealing" but it's mostly for water/dirt infiltration.

not sure what could be used to seal that will move around and hold up over time.

So I got a good break in this past weekend at Jeep Jamboree. List of to dos has grown with some parts giving up on this trip.

Burned up PS pump
Steering box is leaking like crazy again
Bent a wheel
Bent the rear anti-wrap bar
Ball joints are shot
Front locker is popping very loudly
Motor is running warmer than usual

I'll be going through everything in the coming weeks to make sure nothing else is hurting. I'm searching for steering options for the pump and box. I've also started pricing out D60 fronts. Looking at an 02 SD D60 this coming week. I'll redrill the unit bearings/rotors for 8x6.5 pattern. I've already priced it all out for swapping in/gearing/3 linking the front. It'll be costly but I should be able to recoup about half the cost selling the 44.

What thickness was your anti wrap bar?

1.75" x .120" wall. My last one was the same however, I didn't bounce the whole jeep off the last one haha.

Oh dang. I made mine out of 2.00”x.250” wall in fear of putting a bend in mine. Mine is close to 4’ too.

Oh dang. I made mine out of 2.00”x.250” wall in fear of putting a bend in mine. Mine is close to 4’ too.

What works in my advantage is that I made the upper arm adjustable. This allowed me to correct it on the trail and continue on. I'm going to leave it bent until I find the need to replace it. I'll call it "high clearance" haha

Back