• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ push button start issues

Stormhorns

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, long time lurker. 1st post.
Long story short, I decided to install a push button start in my 91 XJ.

I followed the advice in this thread from another 91 XJ owner.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/push-button-start-110002/

I wired mine up the exact way as this guy.

1st time I used it, I flipped the toggle switch. All the electronics came on, fuel pump as well.

Then I hit the starter button. And nothing happened. I hit it a couple more times and then noticed an electrical smell.

I got out and saw smoke coming from the engine bay, drivers side fire wall, just behind the washer fluid bottle. Immediately disconnected the battery and tried to figure out what happened. But I am at a loss.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you actually take a look at who wrote that thread? Did you see his Jeep?

The only good advice that guy might have to offer is how to sneak up on a goat proper....

As for your wiring issue it's impossible to say whats wrong without a picture of how you have it wired up. Post one up and maybe we can get it figured out.

Did you actually take a look at who wrote that thread? Did you see his Jeep?

The only good advice that guy might have to offer is how to sneak up on a goat proper.... goats need love too, ya know......

As for your wiring issue it's impossible to say whats wrong without a picture of how you have it wired up. Post one up and maybe we can get it figured out. this is the important part-- something is obviously wrong, we would need to see what you did to be any help

This is the "Diagram" I used from his thread

This is the wiring from my toggle switch

This is the two cables running to my momentary push button switch, the yellow one is the green/yellow to starter

This is the 2 wires connected to the push button

Idk what happened with the pic's, here you go. again thx for the help guys.

This is the "Diagram" I used from his thread

498F5BDC-253D-4BBA-8C79-18CDD8B0F9B4_zpsc2cawrbl.png~original

This is the wiring from my toggle switch, Red is the main power line.

D138C356-74E0-469F-8090-11FC08D07C5B_zps1w73lay2.jpg~original

This is the two cables running to my momentary push button switch, the yellow one is the green/yellow to starter

5B81DC84-EB88-49CB-BEAD-07FE56D891B3_zpsjnj0jzap.jpg~original

Those two wire run into a momentary push button switch, was having trouble resizing the pic, but its pretty straight forward, 1 wire to each node.

Ok so the wiring schematic I'm looking at is for a 1991 XJ 4x4 4.0l

Everything you have wired looks to be correct except for the 2 smaller wires, grey/white stripe and violet/yellow stripe

the grey/white wire runs to your emergency brake switch circuit

the violet/yellow wire runs to your coolant temp sensor (I'm assuming its for the instrument cluster sensor for the gauge not the PCM cts)

both of these wires join together at a common terminal inside the ignition switch itself

my schematic shows that this terminal gets grounded in the start position through the steering column body and never receives 12v at any position.

soooo I would try to disconnect the 2 smaller gauge wires and see if it starts. You may need to connect the 2 together since that's how they end up when plugged into the ignition switch.

I didn't dig deep enough to see why these 2 wires should be grounded in the start position. Alldata schematics for this truck are crap.

hope this helps

After thinking a bit the only logical reason to ground those 2 wires in the start position is to turn the warning lights on for the system check during startup. Ya know when you start the Jeep and your instrument panel warning lights come on.

Again this is speculation.

Cool.

I am betting the goat guy got away with his wiring because he no longer had an instrument cluster to be lit up anymore. If the tree took out his steering column it probably got his instrument cluster too.

Back