• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ windshield.... help

Joe R.

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 cherokee has been sitting at my house for a while now... I have been driving my 95 to college. I recently went back home to visit family and noticed that when i looked inside I had around 3" of water on the passenger side floor!!!! Where could this be coming from?!! I tried my best to soak it up, but there was so much of it. It has got to be the windshield. It's a shame though because the windshield is in good shape. Any suggestions of cheap places in the CT area to get windshields replaced?
~Joe~

FIrst things first, lift your carpet and pop one of the drain plugs out to get the standing water out. Then pull the carpet, ALL OF IT and hang it somewhere to dry and it is going to take a while, about a week and that includes the padding. good time to check for any rust under the back seats too :D . Leave it in there and you will NEVER get rid of all the mold or the smell.
Next you can tackle the leak, it might not be the windshield, once you have the carpet and most of the water out use a garden hose. Spray it like it's raining, vary the angle some, it can also come in thru the vent between the hood and windshield... you may have to take that cover off and check for debris blocking the drains and allowing it to run down to the inside..

It might be the air intake cowl area, or it might be that the windshield seal has failed. There's a special clear silicone made for resealing windshields. It's a very low viscosity so it flows into the gaps. I saw it on the sealant peg board at Auto Zone just a couple of days ago. You might try a tube of that before calling in the pros.

If you need a windshield guy, I have a contact for you. Call me some evening.

cool thanks alot guys

Back