• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90% Chance I am moving to Peoria, IL. I have a few Questions...

vt98xj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well I got a Pre-offer from a company that is in Peoria, IL as a Diesel Test Engineer
biggrin.gif
all they have to do is check References and do a background check, neither of which I am concerned about.

Vehicle Related
As you can see I have a 1992 V-8 Carb Swapped S-10.
DSC_5173.jpg

I plan on keeping the Cherokee!

So My Question.
Are there Emissions testing and/or Vehicle Safety Inspections in IL?

If I am going to run into problems out there I am just going to sell my baby and get something fun when I get out there.

Living
I am going to rent an apartment or house when I first move out there, I would like to be somewhat in the country as I don't want to deal with HOA or an apartment complex because I like to work on my own vehicle when I feel like it.

What are the best places to look and does anyone want to help me with a search?

I don't live in P-town, but I have spent some time there.
No emissions testing out side of Metro East and Chicago, so you are good there.
As far as a place to live, there are no real bad parts of Peoria.
My friend lives in Chillicothe, it is a nice place. but in the city will be cheaper.

There are BAD parts of Peoria, near downtown.

BUT, there are plenty of little towns around there that would be very nice.

No safety inspections for light trucks, gotta be over 8000Lbs.
Rev

I know of an apartment that will be looking for a new tennant soon. My brother is currently living in Pekin, just south of Peoria. He's moving to Utah next month. He likes Pekin but the job is in Utah. I can get contact info if you'd like.

I know of an apartment that will be looking for a new tennant soon. My brother is currently living in Pekin, just south of Peoria. He's moving to Utah next month. He likes Pekin but the job is in Utah. I can get contact info if you'd like.

Yes I might be interested, right now I am just searching Craigslist. The only requirement I have is I need a garage.

Oh ya it is 100% official I start on July 14th :rof:

Yes I might be interested, right now I am just searching Craigslist. The only requirement I have is I need a garage.

Oh ya it is 100% official I start on July 14th :rof:

If you need a garage, I won't be able to do you any good.

well i have lived in east peoria all my life.its far better than peoria.schools and crime are nuts over on that side of the river.no where,i mean no where to off-road.i lived i peoria for a short time,once and will never again.so i recommend looking on the east side of the river.good that you found a job here.many are jobless now.goodluck

This is going to be my first rental, so I am still trying to figure out what I want. I have been searching craigslist and other sites for now.

Ideas I have been kicking around...
-House (no apartment complex)
-less then $1000ish per month
-Garage (would prefer 2 car but a large 1 car garage would work, I like to work on my own vehicles all the time)
-1 or 2 bedroom (I am single and not going to get a roommate)
-I would like a decent sized kitchen (also and a place that allows a grill)

I think that is a good start, lol

monday i go back to work.ive been on vacation for 2weeks yeah.there are a few or was a few for rent with garages.i know alot of houses are pricey to rent.people have made a business out of it.ill see whats available.if you ever have any questions you can call me.309-369-9330.name is brett.my wife works for caterpillar and she can check on monday to.there are houses listed at her work on the cat classifieds.

thanks a lot.

I am not working directly for CAT but Automotive Robotics which does a lot of testing for them, I guess I get a Caterpillar ID badge so I will be onsite.

One week until the move

DONE...
-I believe I have the S-10 sold :) (too bad it went for cheap)
-made security deposit on 1/2 a duplex about 15 minutes from work
-reserved a 22' Penske and full trailer (for the Cherokee)

Left to do...
-get straps/chains to tie down the jeep (tires are too large for the supplied penske straps :laugh:
-load the truck and trailer
-drive the 18-20 hours to IL

When is the next Illinois Jeep Meet after the 11th?

One week until the move

DONE...
-I believe I have the S-10 sold :) (too bad it went for cheap)
-made security deposit on 1/2 a duplex about 15 minutes from work
-reserved a 22' Penske and full trailer (for the Cherokee)

Left to do...
-get straps/chains to tie down the jeep (tires are too large for the supplied penske straps :laugh:
-load the truck and trailer
-drive the 18-20 hours to IL

When is the next Illinois Jeep Meet after the 11th?

Brewfest, July 24th.

Good luck on the move!

I live in Peoria. The north east along the river is bad. The south east is a shooting gallery. East bluff is also a shooting gallery. The rest is OK. Lived here 20 years. What doesn't kill ya makes you stronger. BTW, just duck if you hear a bang. None of these guys could hit the broad side of a barn from three feet on a sunny day.

Best,
Chuck

Good point.

:D

Rev

vt98xj said:
Left to do...

Let the air out of the front tires until the straps fit,sung the straps down, then air the tires up a little. That is what I did when I moved up from Florida.

Back