• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ front axle question

b1gjeepTN

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, my name is steve.
I am swapping out the front axle on an 88 XJ for the
axle on an 89 XJ. They are both dana 30, but the 89
looks different. It does not have the electrical and
vacume connections on the right hand side of the axle
like the 88 does. I am guessing the these connections
are what locks the front into 4x4. Since the 89 is
also 4X4, yet doesn't have the vacume attachment, how
does that axle lock, and does it provide the same 4X4
performance as the 88?

Thanks

Steve

The axle with all the "stuff" on the right side has a vacuum disconnect. There is a sliding collar to unlock, or disconnect, the right outer axle when in 2 wheel drive. The mechanism is vacuum operated -- the electrical connection is only for the light on the dashboard.

The axle without the "stuff" must have come out of an XJ with an automatic transmission and the 242, or "Selec-Trac," option, which is the one that offers full-time 4WD on dry pavement. That axle is always connected, so the answer is "Yes," it will provide the same 4WD performance. In fact, it eliminates one source of potential problems by not having the vacuum shift mechanism to worry about.

If it helps put your mind at ease, 1990 was the last year Jeep used the vacuum dosconnect on the Cherokee. From 1991 on, all Cherokees came with the solid axle on the right side.

Back