• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Trail rig. $4,000 firm.

poomba

NAXJA Forum User
1989 hard used trail rig: 163k miles. I bought this in 8-03, spent the year fixing someone elses goof ups. (edit: rock rails are by AJ's Armor, trail tested, and did great).
Has 1996 4.0, 61k miles on that.
Custom front heavy duty bumper, 2 tow points and receiver.
Wilderness (was 700.00 new) swing away tire/hi lift jack mount rear bumper (receiver and 2 tow points)
TC skidplate, gas tank skid plate, engine/tranny skidplate.
Borla header, 1 month old, new muffler system, (used old cat, still good).
New rear brakes/drums.
5 (spare never used) procomp all terains with wheels. 4 have about 5k miles on them. 33x8.5
gearing is 4.56.
lockrite in rear. Bushwhacker flares are new, but beat all to hell.
dana 35 in rear, 30 in front. Tranny is automatic, prolly a 231. Never had any problems with it, so other than changing the fluid when I bought it (it was clear) never really looked at it.
New (2 weeks old) teraflex quick disconnects for the front sway bar (used swaybar, previous owner removed front/back ones.) New upper/lower control arms (teraflex) 2 weeks old.
New (May of 04) tranny cooler, 3 row gdi radiator, and $243.00 aux fan. I had heating problems before I got this all done, fixed now. New bottle and a spare, if you want that. 90 percent of the hoses are new, about 2 months old. The engine and new ring/pinion spider gears were put in in April of 04.
Slip yoke Eliminator is by Tom Woods. So's the drive shaft. Has a 4 inch lift, brand new springs in the front. Battery is 1 year old. Starts and runs great. all gears, including 4wd, work fine. Air conditioner works, gets a lil weak after 30 minutes, shut down and restart in 10..works again.
Problems: Guys, I beat the hell out of this on 4dyce, got in over my head, and now I'm looking forward to a new project, to ensure I'm ready next time.
I bent the brand new currie track bar. California rocks are harder than Utah rocks, I guess. The control arm got cracked, now welded. The shackles (leafs in rear) are squished, need replaced. Needs new bump stops in front, 4dyce ate mine. You might need to adjust leaf angles when the shackles are fixed. Got shims in there now, but I'd look at it. We did a trail repair on the yoke/ujoint, lasted 900 miles home, but I'd switch that out before you take it out. It has some slapping in there, that won't last. Parts and labor, including the purchase price of $1,000...25 grand. Seriously. So, I figured 25 cents on the dollar, and haggling down another 20 percent..that's why I don't want to hear any 'Will you take 3,999?' questions. If you have 4k, and want a rig you can bash around on medium trails with a little..and I do mean little, work, PM me. I live on an army base, or I'd part this out and switch the gear over to a new rig in the driveway. I can drive it into SLC, Utah, but yer gonna have to give me a ride back :p

Last edited:
Back