• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Front U-Joint hits downpipe

JNickel101 said:
you know you have two motor mounts, right?

take a look at the M.O.R.E. engine mounts, by looking at them, you wouldnt have much play/stretch in them. thats how it should be.

Yes I know I have two motor mounts. I'm just wondering if the bolt is supposed to move at all inside the stock mounts?

my vote is motor mounts. had same problem and it ripped a hole in exhaust. couldn't tell that the motor mounts were gone until we removed them and they were completely seperated

yeah man, it's your mounts. You shouldnt have any play in there at all. Sometimes it's hard to see where they separate and break apart, but just judging from your description I would say that this is the case. New mounts is a fairly straightforward job, and I would definetely recommend changing the tranny mounts at the same time.

Bored400 said:
yeah man, it's your mounts. You shouldnt have any play in there at all. Sometimes it's hard to see where they separate and break apart, but just judging from your description I would say that this is the case. New mounts is a fairly straightforward job, and I would definetely recommend changing the tranny mounts at the same time.

Bleeeh that's what I was afraid I'd hear. My transmission is the dreaded Peugeot BA/10 so I don't know about getting a mount for that. Cheapest I've is over 100 dollars. Might just do the engine mounts if they're toast.

Shorty said:
that doesn't look very bad, but the best way to replicate how the engine is gonna move during use would be to hold the brake and load the drivetrain,
i.e. put an auto in gear and "blip" the throttle or on a stick slowly let of the clutch pedal untli you can get it to load against the parking brake.

I would look closely at all three mounts and the attachment points for the exhaust as well. There's not alot of room in there, but if everything is where it belongs, you should have a little more than a penny between the shaft and downpipe.

really, it's the best way to tell........

Shorty said:
really, it's the best way to tell........

I don't really understand what will happen though. It's a standard by the way.

What would happen with bad engine mounts, and good engine mounts, if you let the clutch out against the parking brake?

mattbred said:
I don't really understand what will happen though. It's a standard by the way.

What would happen with bad engine mounts, and good engine mounts, if you let the clutch out against the parking brake?

It would push to one side and stay there. Now, if you got on and off the clutch going up a hill, you would see more accurate representation of a real environment.

Well I set the hand brake and let the clutch out a few times, and the engine moved a little bit but not really that bad at all. I'm unsure now.

The bolt in the engine mount should not move. How many more people here have to tell you to replace the engine mounts before you put away the tripod and get out the toolbox? If you can't afford the tranny mount, replace the front ones first and see how it goes.

MoFo said:
The bolt in the engine mount should not move. How many more people here have to tell you to replace the engine mounts before you put away the tripod and get out the toolbox? If you can't afford the tranny mount, replace the front ones first and see how it goes.
Hey,
I'm not afraid of replacing the mounts, I just don't like throwing parts at things. I just wanted to make damn sure the mounts are actually the problem and I havn't got a firm answer as to that being the case. I'll start researching the mounts now though, thanks for your answer 'bout the bolt. I also felt in the passenger side rubber and it's really soft rubber. Doesn't look like the OEM stock mounts, either. On the plus side, the previous owner rotated the bolt in the mount on the passenger side so I don't have to take out the oil filter.

Also I appreciate all the help I've gotten with this, and with these forums in general. :)

Back