• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 cherokee keeps dying and not starting

koda1775

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 cherokee that keeps dying and now is not wanting to crank... before it would just die now and then now it will bairly get 2 blocks.. also now it is not even wanting to crank... when it dies its like some one just turn it off.. no coughing or sputtering at all... any ideas...im getting fuel to it still cause i can smell it...

Well, sounds like you might have more than one issue. They could be related, though.

If you don't have 9 volts available the engine will run weird or not run at all. Starters are dumb and can be quite happy as long as there are enough amps, but electronics are real fussy about volts.

Put a voltmeter between the battery terminals--you should have 12.5 volts static. If you don't, pull both cables off and fully charge the battery, overnight would be good, 24 hours would be best, then take it and have it load tested.

Clean both ends of the battery cables while the battery is charging.

With that done, see if the engine starts. If it will, check the voltage between the terminals of the battery with the engine running--13~14.5 volts is what you are looking for.

Post up what you find out.

the batery has a full charge... if i short acrose the starter solinoid i can get it to crank but not with the key.. i puled out the NSS and cleaned it and that did not fix the isue. im thinkin gthe CPS but i did not know if that could cause a no Crank symtom... I just had it changed 3 months ago and thay put an after market one on ... ( i was not happy) it had the slotted holes so it can be ajusted and they cut the plug and soddered it on...

what about that little brownish colored thing on inside of driver fender? should have two wires in it, think its like a regulator rectifier or some shit, (i dunno im no motor guy, nor do i know anything about the renix) just know it broke on my friends 88 and his jeep was doing the same thing

the balist resistor is what i think you are talking about.. i had that chnged too when they changed the CPS so i would not think that would affect it.. i think that just controls the fuel pump... and the fuel pump is still running

Auto or manual transmission?

Do us a favor, make one post with the entire, brief recent repair history, all in one new post here. Give us a check list of what you have done, and when, and any details.

the batery has a full charge... if i short acrose the starter solinoid i can get it to crank but not with the key.. i puled out the NSS and cleaned it and that did not fix the isue. im thinkin gthe CPS but i did not know if that could cause a no Crank symtom... I just had it changed 3 months ago and thay put an after market one on ... ( i was not happy) it had the slotted holes so it can be ajusted and they cut the plug and soddered it on...

CPS will not cause a no crank condition.

Back