• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Brakelight Woes

TJ Rat

NAXJA Forum User
Hello;
We just spent all weekend working on an 89 XJ. Last problem is no brakelights. Any ideas where to look now would be most appreciated.

First off 89 XJ, 4.0 liter, AW4, NP231, Dana 35 rear, Dana 30 front.

We replaced the NSS switch with a new one (already did the clean and regrease 3 times, got tired of it). No more starting problems and presto, the reverse lights work. But still no brakelights. Replaced the switch on the brake pedal with a new one last year. Lights worked intermittently for about a month. Checked with a meter, the switch is getting 1.5 volts. The voltage will not even light up my test light, but the ammeter shows juice. Here is my question, where to look upstream? Any advise on where to look?

Semper Fi

Well, for a short term fix I would pull the power source wire and run a 12 volt feed from the fuse block to it, that way you can drive it while trying to trace the problem.

When tracing the problem you may want to check to see if the brake MC is leaking (or has leaked in the past) under the dash where the rod from the pedal enters--if they leak there the brake fluid will run down and corrode the fuse block and damage wiring in that area.

Good luck.

Well, for a short term fix I would pull the power source wire and run a 12 volt feed from the fuse block to it, that way you can drive it while trying to trace the problem.

When tracing the problem you may want to check to see if the brake MC is leaking (or has leaked in the past) under the dash where the rod from the pedal enters--if they leak there the brake fluid will run down and corrode the fuse block and damage wiring in that area.

Good luck.

I can attest to the ill affects of brake fluid leaking onto the fuse block!
My leak was from a leaky clutch MC--but same effect. I, too, lost my brake lights. Problem was gummy fuse block contacts do to brake fluid dissolving the fuse block, and the plastic covers of the fuses!

So check the "block" and associated fuses.

Back