• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 4.0 Renix sputtering

edgreeson65

NAXJA Forum User
I am having problems with my ’89 Renix Cherokee 4.0, when it starts to warm up (around 180) it will start sputtering when I accelerate or put a load on it. When the motor is cold it run’s awesome. HELP ME PLEASE.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115935

Go through Cruiser's tips. Pay attention to the TPS adjustment procedures, refresh your grounds, check CTS (coolant temp sensor) and O2 sensor readings. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, check those also. Check for vacuum leaks by spraying starter fluid (or something similar) around the intake when the engine is cold AND then again when it is warm. You may have manifold bolts that are loose and don't show themselves until warmed up.

Report back with what you find. Good luck.

Did you do absolutely anything to the vehicle prior to this starting?

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115935

Go through Cruiser's tips. Pay attention to the TPS adjustment procedures, refresh your grounds, check CTS (coolant temp sensor) and O2 sensor readings. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, check those also. Check for vacuum leaks by spraying starter fluid (or something similar) around the intake when the engine is cold AND then again when it is warm. You may have manifold bolts that are loose and don't show themselves until warmed up.

Report back with what you find. Good luck.
Winner, Winner -All the manifold bolts were loose, runs good again:cheers:

No problem. It is a common issue. A 14mm flex head gear wrench is your best friend when trying to get to the bolts on the bottom side of the manifold.
the jackass that put the motor together put the conical washers in backwards to make it that much easier for me :gonnablow

Back