• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 XJ two door w/4.0 L and 5 speed manual tranny

XJoeB

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Burgandy '87 two door XJ for sale. It has the 4.0L Inline six with NP231 transfer case, 5 speed manual transmission and stock axles (30 up front, 35 in the rear). It needs some work, like tuneup, timing, choke sticks, hard to start, brakes, and throwout bearing, but it's an awesome project vehicle. I was going to make it into my chop top project and weld in custom roll bars and everything, but I pour all my loot into my 2000 XJ which I keep busting up in Tellico. The transmission and transfer case are solid and the axles are good to go as well. Even for a parts vehicle you can't beat this thing for $800. Give me a call at (252) 670-0320 or email me at [email protected] if you think you might be interested. It's parked in Havelock, North Carolina and you'll have to come get it. I could trailer it to you if it's not too far, but you might have to buy me a case or two of Miller Lite to make up for it.:D

Joe Banas

XJoeB said:
I have a Burgandy '87 two door XJ for sale. It has the 4.0L Inline six with NP231 transfer case, 5 speed manual transmission and stock axles (30 up front, 35 in the rear). It needs some work, like tuneup, timing, choke sticks, hard to start, brakes, and throwout bearing,

Could you please confirm the year and engine? The '87 4.0L does not have adjustable timing and is multi-port fuel injected, so there is no choke. I don't understand the comments in your listing.

87 xj

which 5 speed tranny does it have, AX 15 or the pugiot, I could be interested in the Jeep, I have an 88 and it has the pugiot tranny and I am wanting to do a drive train swap. also are you sure it is the 4.0, because that year model is multiport fuel injection, so it does not have a choke.

Later Heath

Re: Re: '87 XJ two door w/4.0 L and 5 speed manual tranny

Eagle said:
Could you please confirm the year and engine? The '87 4.0L does not have adjustable timing and is multi-port fuel injected, so there is no choke. I don't understand the comments in your listing.

This is one of those times when you have to realize that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to fuel injected engines. It is an '87 with original 4.0L engine. It's hard to start, and when it does fire up, it's as if it's flooded. I haven't spent any time troubleshooting it.

Back