• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ no spark

with the CCV hose, is there anything on the end of it at the valve cover? Like a Pcv? Or is it just a hose?

with the CCV hose, is there anything on the end of it at the valve cover? Like a Pcv? Or is it just a hose?

The rear tube has an orifice, about 2.2 mm IIRC.

Alright, so 100 bucks on vacuum lines. On the list.

Now, my rear window is shattered. Easier to do window or whole hatch?

Driver's door is falling off. Top hinge has completely come free from body. Bottom is starting to. Any tips for fixing it? Will be buying a welder soon.

Alright, so 100 bucks on vacuum lines. On the list.

Now, my rear window is shattered. Easier to do window or whole hatch?

Driver's door is falling off. Top hinge has completely come free from body. Bottom is starting to. Any tips for fixing it? Will be buying a welder soon.

Just the glass will be fine.

Drove it around the block today. Idles rough, and wants to stall out for first several seconds when it starts. But runs pretty good. Will that most likely be fixed with replacing the vac line from rear of VC to Intake, or do I need to start testing more stuff?

The gauges do not work. Well, the speedometer doesn't work, and everything else appears to be dummy lights. I may or may not have 1/8 a tank of fuel.

The rear vacuum harness. There's 3 skinny tubes. 2 of them go to the thing on the wheelwell on the other side of the airbox. What is the thing? and Where does the 3rd line go? Mine was off, and modified, and there was an open spot on the airbox, so I put it there.

Drove it around the block today. Idles rough, and wants to stall out for first several seconds when it starts. But runs pretty good. Will that most likely be fixed with replacing the vac line from rear of VC to Intake, or do I need to start testing more stuff?

The gauges do not work. Well, the speedometer doesn't work, and everything else appears to be dummy lights. I may or may not have 1/8 a tank of fuel.

The rear vacuum harness. There's 3 skinny tubes. 2 of them go to the thing on the wheelwell on the other side of the airbox. What is the thing? and Where does the 3rd line go? Mine was off, and modified, and there was an open spot on the airbox, so I put it there.

Get all of the vacuum stuff rectified first. Also check your intake manifold bolts and be sure they're snug. I've got a vacuum diagram but can't post it or I would. Perhaps someone else has it.

Note from DJ
You should have a vacuum diagram decal on your firewall near the brake booster

cruiser54 I think that is considered copyrighted information believe it or not!

Last edited:
found a diagram. Will replace what i can with soft lines. The CCV will still need to be the hard line with the orifice, though, right?

Note from DJ
You should have a vacuum diagram decal on your firewall near the brake booster

cruiser54 I think that is considered copyrighted information believe it or not!

There is such a thing as fair use policy too. That is what allows one to make a copy of a page of a copy righted book at a library. What is clearly illegal is selling copies.

Replaced the ccv hose with a new one. Replaced the rest of the vacuum lines with soft lines. Filled coolant. Changing oil now. Will put in some Marvels. The oil was nasty, and there was a bunch of carbon in the holes in the top of the valve cover.
Got plugs, will do them and wires next.

Runs better, and super awesome for being free, but still has a kinda rough idle.

Takes many cranks for it to start, and starts better if I am pumping the throttle. Assuming the plugs will help, as the ones in there look quite old.

Soft lines at charcoal canister were decomposed. Replaced large one will fuel line, will find some fuel line for the small one. That probably explains the fuel smell :) Should I worry about the sprinkler line the rest of the hose is made out of? Doesn't look cracked or anything. I'm gonna see what I can do to check the lines at the tank.

My buddy had some 20inch rims and tires, so it's rollin on dubs for the next week or so. :) Looks so stupid.

Changed spark plugs. Old ones were autolites, black, and gapped around .80

Tightened remainder of intake bolts. Some were loose, some were not.

Moved vacuum ball to underneath coolant reservoir, and ran those vacuum lines.

Still takes a while to start, but my 'home-fixed' battery still needs some breaking in.

Still idles rough. Off-idle sounds great.

So, summary so far:
New CPS made it run
Oil change
spark plugs
New vacuum lines (soft)
tightened intake bolts
adjusted TPS
installed 20" rims (most likely cause of all problems, an embarassed jeep isn't gonna run well)
Filled coolant
Moved vacuum ball to under coolant reservoir
cleaned air filter (it still smells like rat pee, but I can see through most of it)

I'm now at a loss, other than testing more sensors, but I don't even know what most of them are called. I can find no vacuum leaks. Maybe o2?

Back