• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Cherokee with head gasket issues?

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
First of all just wanted to say hi! I know this is my 1st post but I have an 1987 XJ with the dreaded 2.8l v6. I developed a pretty severe oil leak that looks like it's coming from the backside of the head on the passenger side. I can't really see right where the head reaches the block but I felt with fingers right below the valve cover and nothing but I can see oil leaking from the top side of the engine near that spot! Nothing is in the coolant or the oil. Just wondering if there is any other place to be looking for oil leaks or is it time for the junkyard? Thanks for any advise!

87's had the 4.0, if it is 2.8 its probably an 86 or older. the 2.8's leak from the intake manifold and the valve covers if the leak is coming from the top of the engine

Yeah its an 86 sorry! wish it was an 87! I think I found it though. I grabbed the distributor while i was trying to lean over the engine and it was loose. Can it leak out of the distributor hole. It's pooling oil all around it when I let it idle. Or could it still be the intake manifold around there somewhere?

Back