• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 cherokee water line?

yes it can be by-passed. it is avaliable at local shops... just STAY AWAY FROM THE STEALERSHIPS!!! (paid $80 + tax to replace mine when it broke. it was across the high-way & no other options avaliable at the time).

Man what a price to ship it,,no better than parts store..replaced waterpump this weekend hope it works good found out the po didnt have a thermostat in it..

found out the po didnt have a thermostat in it..

lol i know mine don't have a thermo! i didn't put it in when i replaced my water pump. took it out due to uncontroled over heating.
found out afterwords that the radiator has a pin-hole near the top hose, and not enough cash to replace it with a new one.
so instead of puttin the preasure on the hole & chance making it bigger, i took it out & said F it! i'll replace it when i put a new radiator in it.

@chris y: Just cut the thing out. Plug the vac line with a golf tee. If you're worried about extra heat in warm weather, you can get a 1/2" x 1/2" hose barb brass ball valve from home depot for about $8. Just close the valve in summer; no hot coolant going thru heater core.

@cracked-butt: Get a t-stat and a stick of QuickSteel putty. It got me home from an hour away when the tank started to separate from the rad. I've used the stuff for a few things since then, and have been pretty impressed. It's like $6 from the parts store.

http://www.afcinternational.com.au/myweb/products/quiksteel_epoxy_putty.htm

Thats an idea i did cut it and hook hose up for now till i can go get part i had to hear it run it had been 3 weeks its been sitting temp guage got to almost 210 but never higher think i might have an air bubble in there..

Better than blew out driving some remote stretch I guess.
Fully agreed, mine blew up when I pushed it to the side a little to change out my #5 and #6 spark plugs. I'm glad it happened in my driveway rather than on the highway doing 75.

I ended up patching myself up by making a U out of standard 1/2" copper water pipe and some elbows, just soldered it up and clamped it in. Mine had spring clamps instead of crimp-on clamps or screw clamps so I just used a pair of pliers. I suspected they would pop off or the smooth copper pipe would fly out of the end of the hosing under pressure, but it didn't while I was keeping an eye on it, and I ended up forgetting entirely after a while and ran it for months before I came across a nearly new HCV in a C4C XJ at the junkyard, which I got for 5 bucks.

When I get around to it (it's near the bottom of the list, much more important things to wrench on right now) I'll be building a set of copper pipes like the ones listed on 5-90's page, and eliminating the valve entirely.

Back