• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 vs. 29 spline 8.25

I'd stick with the 8.25 if it were mine. Swapping it out for an 8.8 is a bunch of work for very little gain. Upgrade your shafts when you regear and you'll be fine.
More than a little gain; disk breaks, 8.8 inch ring gear, and 31 spline larger shafts just by welding perches on and using a pinon adapter (i think), plus the c-clip eliminator availability.

Just new flange to adapt to the smaller Jeep 1310 u-joint. Ford uses a larger 1330 u-joint. Simple bolt on swap. New perches and shock mounts was not really "a bunch work" to me either. This not really the sport to be in if you want everything to be easy, unfortunately most of the available stock XJ suspension and driveline parts were not designed and will not hold up to more than moderate wheeling. As you grow up in the sport you start to outgrow weak and inferior stuff pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the imput guys! So here's some more info on my situation. I already have the 4.56s in my 8.25 so i'd have to regear any way i look at it. I do have access to a welder and people who know how to use it. (my grandpa's been welding since he was born!) The biggest thing for me here is price to gain rattio....

If i were to go with the 29 spline i wouldn't have to pay for anything except an install kit for regearing, assuming the gears from my 27 spline will fit my 29 spline....

8.8 i would need gears -$270- plus install kit -$70ish- spring perches -$22- shock mounts -??- a u-joint adaption flange -??- and e-brake adaptions -??- and wheel spacers -??- a lot more work too.

What i would get out of each...

29 spline, a little more strengh, instant gratifacation, more money to buy a locker sooner.

8.8, Lots more strengh, disk brakes, and a better aftermarket for later....

This is a lot to take in and i'll need time to think it over. But thanks for all the great feed back! I feel like i can now make the best decision.

You don't need the wheel spacers I don't use them, the 8.8 is only .75" narrower per side, almost unnoticable unless you know to look for it. If your going to put a locker in the 8.25 I would highly recommend putting in alloy or chromoly shafts too or start collecting spares, lockers put alot more stress on your axle shafts, usually more than stock ones can handle, at least not for too long. The extra cost will pay for itself in extra trail time not being spent broken down. I'd still go with the 8.8. Some info I found that might be helpful http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...plorer8_8.html Look under "8.8 swap" in the "tech library"

Last edited:
i was in a similar boat. i have a 29 spline open 8.25 with disk brakes and a rough stuff diff cover. then i found an mj d44 at a junkyard. i snagged it up the instant i seen it. i threw arround the idea of putting the 44 under my jeep. i am and have a welder, so that was not a problem.

in the end i decided to keep my 8.25 and sell the 44. i have built my axle (and rig for that matter) up over time. first i swapped in the 8.25 from a 01 xj. then gears and RS cover and finally zj disk brakes. the future has new shock mounts and RS perches (correcting pinion angle) and getting rid of the shims. i loved the experience of working with this axle and learned a lot.

i think its 6 in one and a half dozen the other.

So another reason i was thinking of going with the 8.8 is because my jeep started off with a 2in lift and 31x10.50s lol. Now i'm up to 6 in of lift and 35s. But it took me three lift kits and three sets of tires to figure out i want more... and more and more and more.... anyways i think i just might be skipping a step by going with the bigger axle now before i lock up an 8.25 just to find out i want more. If that makes any sense whatsoever. I mean my next jeep i'll know to just go straight to the big stuff ya know, save a lot of time and money. Same thing with the 8.8, i just don't want to waste my money incase i don't need an 8.8.

Stewie
How much work (and dough) was the disk brake conversion you did on your 8.25? Because this might be a way to get the disks and save quite a bit of money too.

Back