• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Swap Write-up

Turfzilla said:
WHat diff did you remove C8.25 or d35?
27 Spline Chrysler 8.25

5-90 said:
Two questions:

1) Why the 12-pt screws? Is it because you need a reduced head? If so, would using a socket head be possible as well (I tend to prefer those, especially where I need clearance for the head.)

2) Would it be possible for me to make this a .pdf and host it at WiP in the "Project Writeup" section? Full credit to you (stupid question) of course... If you are willing, I'll hit you backchannel to let you know what I'd need from you - but this is just the sort of thing I'm looking for there.

1.)I assume you're talking about the flange yoke bolts. The reason for that is just that they're for this purpose, it's the Ford part number, and since I knew it was right and I didn't have an original bolt to go buy new ones, I just bought these. Just saved some time if you know what I mean. I don't think it's needed for the sake of having a reduced head, but yeah, you can use a socket with no problem on them. I'm sure regular 8.8 or 10.9 grade bolts would be fine.

2. You're more than welcome to use this in the writeup section. Just let me know what you need or if you need more pictures or whatever. No problem at all. Thanks

Thanks - PM to follow.

Not "socket" - "socket head." An internal-wrenching screw head, like the sort that uses a hex or "Allen" key. I just wasn't sure if it wanted a reduced head or not - typically, you use a 12-pound where you need a reduced head. That's why I use 1/4"-28 x 1" socket head capscrews on my U-joint yokes - makes it easier to get a wrench to them.

Is there a difference in the distance from the tcase yoke and the pinion yoke
between the c8.25 and the 8.8. If so is it so much that you would need a different driveshaft.

5-90 said:
Thanks - PM to follow.

Not "socket" - "socket head." An internal-wrenching screw head, like the sort that uses a hex or "Allen" key. I just wasn't sure if it wanted a reduced head or not - typically, you use a 12-pound where you need a reduced head. That's why I use 1/4"-28 x 1" socket head capscrews on my U-joint yokes - makes it easier to get a wrench to them.
Ahh I see what you're talking about. I imagine that'd work on this too.

99Cherokee said:
Is there a difference in the distance from the tcase yoke and the pinion yoke
between the c8.25 and the 8.8. If so is it so much that you would need a different driveshaft.
The distance is just fine, even though the pinion is about 3" offset. As long as you have a SYE, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm pretty sure the distance itself is just about the same.

Okay, digging up an older thread here. And I don't want to come across as trashing anybody. It's a nice write up, just seems to miss a few things. I'm wondering if there aren't any pics where you can see the shocks or the shock mounts? There's only the one mention of welding them on.

I can add some pics with shock mounts like tomorrow or something. I didn't have shocks when I did the swap, and therefore I kind of forgot about them:laugh:

I'll add some shock mount pictures.

Back