• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 rear end question: What's missing?

If it says L instead of a space where the decimal point would be it's a limited slip. For instance 4L10 or 3L73 on the little tag on the diff.

On the door tag axle code, 42 is an open 4.10 and D2 is an LSD 4.10.

If it says L instead of a space where the decimal point would be it's a limited slip. For instance 4L10 or 3L73 on the little tag on the diff.

On the door tag axle code, 42 is an open 4.10 and D2 is an LSD 4.10.

Thanks Ken. That's good stuff to remember right there. :cheers:

I got it home and took it apart. It looks like all that's missing is one LSD clutch plate (they will be replaced anyway) and maybe this one rounded, thicker shim/washer. I picked it up off the ground and there was a Ranger diff strewn apart nearby. I'm hoping it's just an extra part because I only have one of them.

What is it?

8.8gears.jpg

That looks to be one of the 8.8 carrier bearing preload shims if I had to guess, they are installed outboard of the carrier bearings on the 8.8. You need two, and they (I think...) are special fit to the housing, they set carrier preload and RG backlash.

The factory ones are reputed to be made from cast iron and trying to pound them back into the housing will break them, you need a case spreader to get them in there. You can find aftermarket ones that are adjustable and can be pounded into place all day long without damage for around 30-60 bucks.

Well, I was thinking it could be some kind of side gear thrust washer, but the opening is too big. It's also kind of scraped up from sitting around the junkyard, but everything else that I picked up was clean. I think it's just a piece of junkyard shiz.

Here is a diagram that may help:

Hrs3gaK.jpg

I believe the part you are referring to is part 11. There are two, one for each side.

Cool! Glad you ended up with extra parts instead of not enough.

Back