• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 into my MJ

RedHeapOjeep said:
Complete before our July 4th trip?

josh
depends on the $$$ factor. Need to do my taxes and see what kind of cash I'm playing with. If not, I wheel it with just a 3" lift, and street tires.

Lawn Cher' said:
Huh?

Clean the 8.8 off entirely, use fresh perches, and your shock mounts are built into the MJ u-bolt plates. Spring perches are cheap enough that it isn't worth the time and effort trying to get them off the D35 to reuse them. Get new u-bolts and center pins (or socket head cap screws,) and you're golden. IIRC, MJ's use 3/8" center pins, whereas XJ's use 5/16".
no, reusing the 8.8 mounts and just relocating them. THe SUA YJ swap was done like that. Opie linked it earlier.

if you can tear a .25" wall tube with a conservitive 9+" of weld to a 3/16" plate all in a radius load then the person welding the the material needs more practice welding!

You will NEVER rip these off if a good welder does the work! There is MORE weld serface in the u bolt elim. to the tubes then there is on all 4 link brackets on MOST rigs that are purpose built, if you use all three radiused mounting feet on each eliminator!

So I can bogus statment!

87manche said:
no, reusing the 8.8 mounts and just relocating them. THe SUA YJ swap was done like that. Opie linked it earlier.

Buy new perches. It'll be much easier.
Mine were $25 shipped from Great LakeOffroad.
Beefy.

I did cut/chop/rebuild my D35 shock mounts.

ok, new mounts it is then.
Mark pointed out that the MJ has the shock mounts on the u bolt plates. So if I stay SUA then I shouldn't have to do anything with them. So it really sounds as easy(!) as unbolting one, making the measurements, putting perches on the 8.8 and bolting it up. The driveshaft is what's my worry is now. I'm going to have to do some math tomorrow.

I don't *think* your plates will work. The tubes on the 8.8 are bigger, therefore the holes in the plate will need to be farther apart. IIRC, my stock plates wouldn't work. I made some.

yeah about .5" larger spacing on the plates.

alright then but I can cut the mounts off and weld them onto the new ones, that should be easier than having to put tem on the tube.

Why don't you all just admit I know what I'm talking about and put this thing to bed? Shizzle, its like being at work!

Just lengthen the slots in the u-bolt plates a little bit. Problem solved.

87manche said:
depends on the $$$ factor. Need to do my taxes and see what kind of cash I'm playing with. If not, I wheel it with just a 3" lift, and street tires.

I have some MT's lined up for you down here and an extra set of wheels. you can take them home with you after we wheel.

Lawn Cher' said:
Why don't you all just admit I know what I'm talking about and put this thing to bed? Shizzle, its like being at work!

Just lengthen the slots in the u-bolt plates a little bit. Problem solved.
That was my plan. Doing that would leave like a hair's width of metal between the inside of the holes and the edge of the plate. I didn't feel that it would be adaquate enough to support my hardcore driving style.

RedHeapOjeep said:
I have some MT's lined up for you down here and an extra set of wheels. you can take them home with you after we wheel.
dude you found me MT's? You're awesome.

Haleyes said:
That was my plan. Doing that would leave like a hair's width of metal between the inside of the holes and the edge of the plate. I didn't feel that it would be adaquate enough to support my hardcore driving style.
What if I just stacked another plate above the factory one and sandwiched the factory plate? That way the factory plate would just be like a spacer, and I could drill the proper holes in the plate. Should fix the strength issue and let me keep the stock shock mount all nice like.

87manche said:
What if I just stacked another plate above the factory one and sandwiched the factory plate? That way the factory plate would just be like a spacer, and I could drill the proper holes in the plate. Should fix the strength issue and let me keep the stock shock mount all nice like.
Now that I think about it more. MJ plates are different than XJ plates. So........maybe you can oval out the holes. I've never seen an MJ plate. My expierences were with XJ plates. Sorry for any confusion.

I say go SOA and be done with it. Use stock leaves and raise the front to match.
If you don' t go SOA, I think you'll wish you had down the road.

Haleyes said:
Now that I think about it more. MJ plates are different than XJ plates. So........maybe you can oval out the holes. I've never seen an MJ plate. My expierences were with XJ plates. Sorry for any confusion.

I say go SOA and be done with it. Use stock leaves and raise the front to match.
If you don' t go SOA, I think you'll wish you had down the road.
yeah, but with the thickness of the leaves, the big tubes of an 8.8 and perches I think I'm looking at 6" to go SOA. I don't want to go that big yet. If I go that big I'm going to want adjustable CA's up front, and I've already got the 3" kit from mark. Going that high in the front is just too much money right now. I'd also like to keep it reasonable since it's still my DD. So I think I'll be going with SUA, and then maybe shackles in the rear and a coil spacer in the front to make it a nice 4" then on to 32x9.5s I'll rock the pizza cutters on stock rims.

87manche said:
yeah, but with the thickness of the leaves, the big tubes of an 8.8 and perches I think I'm looking at 6" to go SOA. I don't want to go that big yet. If I go that big I'm going to want adjustable CA's up front, and I've already got the 3" kit from mark. Going that high in the front is just too much money right now. I'd also like to keep it reasonable since it's still my DD. So I think I'll be going with SUA, and then maybe shackles in the rear and a coil spacer in the front to make it a nice 4" then on to 32x9.5s I'll rock the pizza cutters on stock rims.

Bingo, right again.

87manche said:
dude you found me MT's? You're awesome.

Well, they're not free, but they're basically brand new and I can work a good price cause he's a good friend of mine. I can front you till you come down. We'll talk offline.

sweet. I'm going to start prepping for the lift this weekend. Starting to get all the rusty nuts broken loose. Once I get them all loosened I'm going to do the lift in a weekend. I'll see how it looks, then maybe get shackles and spacers to bump it up a bit.
Then it's on to 8.8 hopefully.
Found one in Mansfield, 4.10 with factory LSD, complete disc to disc for $200

87manche said:
Found one in Mansield, 4.10 with factory LSD, complete disc to disc for $200

I'd snag it. That'd be perfect for you. Price is right too.

Haleyes said:
I'd snag it. That'd be perfect for you. Price is right too.
First chance I get I'm going to do that. Probably next weekend
Now I'm on the hunt for a non Cad HP 30 from a 2.5 XJ to match.

Back