• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 vs D44 pinion yoke

spaulman

NAXJA Member #769
Does anyone know if the 8.25 and D44 pinion yokes are interchangable?

Yes, well in my case they were. I have a '93 XJ that used to have an 8.25 in it. I completed a D44 axle swap with some help from some professionals, and discovered that the yokes are the same. We held up a u-joint and placed it in the yoke, and it fit perfectly. I don't have documentation that they are identical, but to the best of my ability I would say that they are. I replaced the 8.25 with a D44 out of an '87 XJ # of axle splines: 30 semi. While I had the D44 on the garage floor I decided to gear down. It was much less expensive to have this done by a local professional shop while it was not mounted in the vehicle. Another friend of mine suggested doing a complete break job, which was a very good idea. Then, after installing the rear diff, I drove the truck to the shop to have the front geared down too. Just a tip in case you are thinking about gearing down at some point.

I think that the question was more of pinion diameter, number of splines etc.

I'm interested too.

Thanks for the clarification old_man. That is what I was referring to.

It was my understanding that the C8.25 pinion itself was not interchangeable with the D44/D30 pinion, although those two are supposed to be interchangeable with each other.

Back