• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

76 Firebird Problem.. Weird...

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
Okay... Im going to post all symptoms my car is having.. and hopefully you guys can help me decide if theyre all connected, or what needs to be done..

1976 Pontiac Firebird Espirit, 4.1L Inline-6, 250 c.i., auto

Certain times, only in the mornings (which are NOT cold here in FLorida, especially this year) I have a pretty loud groan.. HUMMMM... coming from under the hood.. passenger side near firewall... pic of that area here...

P1010113.jpg

Pic under the hood (flash makes it look way dirty, lol)
P1010114.jpg

Now, when I was on a 3.5 hour trip the other day... I noticed my headlights were dimming real bad, along w/interior lights when braking while stopped in a traffic jam... had much time to play with it, realizing lights in/out only dim a FRACTION as much when I'm in nuetral.. vs being in drive, where they dim considerably.

Well, I decided to pull my neg terminal, ran it for 5 minutes, no problems whatsoever, so i ruled out the alt...

Now, when driving around town, at lights, I notice, only when in drive, a very very light, barely noticeable, growling type of hum coming from under the hood, from possibly the same area.

Now, before this trip I never really noticed a problem before...

The next morning... I drive up to Taco Bell (maybe 3/4 mile), when going to drive away from the window, I have the shifter in drive, but it's in neutral, after slightly tapping the gas it eases into gear just like normal, not slamming in as if it has bad bands..

This week, back home, at work, I went to back out from work, had it in reverse, same situation, slight gas, maybe 250 rpms over idle... EASES right into gear....

Checked fluids, all clean, new, and totally full, this car is immaculate.
I feel I might have bad grounds, which could lead to the lights.. but what about the rest?

Thanks in advance, guys! And here's the ride we're trying to fix!

PC110020-1.jpg

when you hear the humming noise put your finger on that relay thats on the firewall just to the left of the AC valves and stuff..I know I've had that problem before and it was a long time ago...but something tells me its that switch/relay...in the first pic its just to the left of the gold colored ac part...below the red wire connector spot

my alternator bearing went bad in my jeep and it made a very strange sound. the alternator was still charging just fine, but made crazy sounds. i used an automotive stethoscope until i found what it was

-Tim

Back