• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 or 8in lift?

MDMIKE said:
Now, for everyone suggesting 3" and 31's, how many of you wish you could have all the $$ back that you spent on smaller lift components when you could have spent the $$ right the first time?
expierence and learning about center of gravity and use of Mo, Mo-Mentum at a lower level will cost a TON less than breaking more expensive parts and learning later - an i would have gladly paid to learn that.

MDMIKE said:
Now, for everyone suggesting 3" and 31's, how many of you wish you could have all the $$ back that you spent on smaller lift components when you could have spent the $$ right the first time?

I don't regret my 3.5" R.E. at all, along with my 31's it has served me well. I am upgrading to about 6" but that is after a couple years on the small stuff

I have 7" of lift on 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs and Bushwacker fenders and I rub when articulated well (I do have long arms). If I want to go to 35s I need to get some more height out of it and possible ditch the bushwackers and cut even more.

Cracker

I dont know everything about wheeling, but I do know that it is good to learn from other people's mistakes. I agree with the 31-33" tire idea. I am 25, have been wheeling for 10 years, and still run 31" tires. Its not always the size of the tire that matters. I can go most places that people with huge tires can go, I can also maintain a smooth ride on the road. Not many people with big tires can say that there Jeep is a comfortable ride on the road (I dont speek for everyone, just the majority there). I also believe that my Jeep has a good off-road look with 31" MT's.....
I know that bigger tires help off road ability, but I consider it fun having to think my way through large obsticals. I posted a picture of my jeep here just to show you (jeepkid444) that a jeep can look good with 31" tires, and function well off road and on road.
My next buy will be a rear locker........<-----this is more important (In my opinion) than bigger tires.
Dont get me wrong, my next tires will be atleast 33-10.50's. But 37" tires I would have agree you should save for when you get a little more experienced.
I dont know it all, None of us will ever know it all. But we can learn from other people's mistakes....It will help you find your way if you can do this.

http://tinypic.com/288gi1

Brian

Last edited:
Jeepkid444 said:
waggy 44 front and narrowed 9" rear. with disc brakes lol .

Those axles are not approved for use with 37's.

Other than that minor detail, excellent plan. :thumbup:

CRASH

CRASH said:

CRASH

If the west coast getting crew does not approve...might as well go back to the drawin board. :wave:

hjeepxj said:
If the west coast getting crew does not approve...might as well go back to the drawin board. :wave:

I just thought about it some more, and noted his location. Any tire and axle combo works fine for the crew you won't be wheeling with in the great state of Colorado. :D

CRASH

CRASH said:

CRASH
60s are over rated,I like my 30 so much I bring an extra :D Oh yeah I run 8" to clear my 37s up front.Lots of trimming and I use my shocks as bump stops... gotta work on that.

I too am only 25 years old, and I've been wheeling for 2 or 3 years. The best advice I could give anyone is to start as small as possible and don't build your rig past your driving abilities. This is the worst mod you can do to your rig. If you don't know what your rig can do with the bare necessities, how can you wheel it properly all built up? I had a 90 xj that I could go anywhere in, almost, and now I have a 99 XJ Classic that holds up with most others running 33's or bigger. I have 2.5" lift and 30's, and I have a blast. Even though some of the advice you've gotten was maybe a bit harsh, you still need to listen to reason and be smart about your rig's mods. It all costs money, sometimes lots of money, so be smart, stay safe, and I would even suggest buying some cheap set of A/T's and wheel your rig stock for a month or two, just to see what kind of mods you absolutely have to make, not just ones that look cool. Good luck with the rig, Keep on Jeepin'

I will never undstand why people constantly try to convince people to start small and learn. YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING. If you have the funds and reeeeaaaally want it go for it, you never know what your wallet will look like in the future and then you will be one of those types that does nothing but read mags and daydream.

As far as lift, IMHO it completely depends on how much fender you want left. Do as little lift as possible and if you decide that you do want some fenders left run 35's or 36's (might be better on the waggy also). I run RE7.5" coils and 35 bfg mud km's and its plenty big.

wannabe said:
I will never undstand why people constantly try to convince people to start small and learn. YOU WILL NEVER STOP LEARNING. If you have the funds and reeeeaaaally want it go for it, you never know what your wallet will look like in the future and then you will be one of those types that does nothing but read mags and daydream.

No, you'll be one of those people who have a rig that is capable for the kind of wheeling your budget can support.

To propoerly use a "big" rig, you need to run "big" trails. Big trails are costly to run, as they tend to use up parts, and "big" rigs generally require an even more costly tow rig.

"Small" trails in "big" rigs are about as fun as getting lucky at a brothel, easy but with little sense of accomplishment.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I just thought about it some more, and noted his location. Any tire and axle combo works fine for the crew you won't be wheeling with in the great state of Colorado. :D

CRASH

:laugh3: :D

GAC, What the F is he proving wrong, all I said was dont be impatient and that I enjoyed the learning curve when my rig was smaller and could launch. If you would take the time to read through again you will clearly see i said DO WHAT YOU WANT. which means not what everyone else says. I gave an opinion in case you couldnt understand that.

-Mike

Last edited:
xjrugger said:
GAC, What the F is he proving wrong, all I said was dont be impatient and that I enjoyed the learning curve when my rig was smaller and could launch. If you would take the time to read through again you will clearly see i said DO WHAT YOU WANT. which means not what everyone else says. I gave an opinion in case you couldnt understand that.

-Mike

calm down man. wasn't picking a fight. just giving the kid another opinion and a bit of a pep talk to boot. just because he's young doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. i meant no offense to you, just a bit of a boost to him. sorry i mentioned you in the post.

now i'll take it all back if he shows up in a month with a rolled and ravaged rig...but i hope to see his wheeling pics of his fully built rig instead.

again, rugger, sorry if i pissed you off. wasn't the intention.

GAC no offense taken guy, sorry if i came across a little harsh but im at work so I have to fire these emails out so my boss doesn't see me jerking around when im supposed to be working, lol. I agree if the kid has the money to do so than go with the big lifted rig on 37's. Im finally at that point YEARS later and still hoping to go up to the next level in the fall. I only hope he doesn't get too far in too quick and realize he has a walletwhale on his hands. My friend 's brother did that with a full size bronco and put it on 38's and he could never wheel with us b/c he was either broken, broke or nobody invited him b/c he was a guarantee to break something and leave us fixing it. I love the stage im at now, but these days i care more for the jeep than i did when it was at 5.5's and 31's and would launch it in the air. Plus it was bought new by my Grandfather in 1988 so the older it gets the more i love it. I say go for it, but patience is a virtue. Listen, people told me not to do 33's, i did it, 4.88's and 10", i did it, 36's, i did it. I dont regret any of it and im still planning on going one ton. But there was nothing like the good old days when i did not have to be under this thing often and could beat it relentlessly. Again, sorry if i sounded harsh but i was in a rush.

-Mike

Back