• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.0 LS Swap

The summer rush is almost over at work so I can finally get some work done to the LSXJ. 1st thing is to get the A/C working. I moved the intake to the drivers side to make room and cleaned and reinstalled the A/C components using heat wrap to protect everything that came close to the headers. Now to fab up a bracket to mount the Jeep compressor.

im curious to see how you wire the A/C control. Are you planning to try and run with the XJ climate control and feed through the GM computer, or use a "dumb" setup that just uses the XJ climate control and wires the low/high pressure switches in series?

FWIW, I ran my intake to the same side to avoid the disaster zone that is the A/C compressor and it seems to fit nicely over there. For my AC I ran brackets off the water pump where you have the tensioner mounted currently and installed a 2003 dodge dakota 4.7L V8 idler/tensioner combo. Getting the idler/tensioner lined up correctly on my (theoretically) temporary ghetto fab brackets was a pain, but it fits really nicely in that spot as you can see. Ignore the wire monster in the background.

WP_20140701_001.jpg

Last edited:
im curious to see how you wire the A/C control. Are you planning to try and run with the XJ climate control and feed through the GM computer, or use a "dumb" setup that just uses the XJ climate control and wires the low/high pressure switches in series?

FWIW, I ran my intake to the same side to avoid the disaster zone that is the A/C compressor and it seems to fit nicely over there. For my AC I ran brackets off the water pump where you have the tensioner mounted currently and installed a 2003 dodge dakota 4.7L V8 idler/tensioner combo. Getting the idler/tensioner lined up correctly on my (theoretically) temporary ghetto fab brackets was a pain, but it fits really nicely in that spot as you can see. Ignore the wire monster in the background.

WP_20140701_001.jpg

I am using the XJ controls without any ECU help and wiring the cooling fan to come on with A/C request.

Do you have any other pics of the bracket and pulley?

I am using the XJ controls without any ECU help and wiring the cooling fan to come on with A/C request.

Do you have any other pics of the bracket and pulley?

Looking through my pictures it looks like I dont have any better ones, ill grab some and post later. The bracket for now is just a ghetto fab 3/16"x1.5" angle with some spacers between the compressor and angle. It works, but I definitely need to start fresh once I am satisfied with the rest of the project since its a little beat up with trying to get the pulleys all aligned. The combo pulley though is the perfect fit in that spot.

Looking through my pictures it looks like I dont have any better ones, ill grab some and post later. The bracket for now is just a ghetto fab 3/16"x1.5" angle with some spacers between the compressor and angle. It works, but I definitely need to start fresh once I am satisfied with the rest of the project since its a little beat up with trying to get the pulleys all aligned. The combo pulley though is the perfect fit in that spot.

Thanks for the info on the pulley! I was going to use 2 separate pulleys, that will help speed things up. Local parts store has one in stock, going to pick it up now.
As for my mount I'm using 1/4" plate and locating it off of the head. We will see how it turns out. If you could post some more pics that would help.

yeah no kidding. The hidden costs are tough though, Im not surprised people end up giving up, between the time and potential for extra costs its not an easy project. For me, the mechanical work was no big deal, it was having to drop the tranny for a rebuild less than a week after first driving it (band wasnt properly anchored), getting towed because the fuel filter clogged leading to a blown apart a cat which blocked up the exhaust, and spending HOURS moving the tensioner around 1mm at a time to get the belt aligned (the tensioner was tilting because my ghetto fab bracket was too ghetto). If I didnt have extra garage space I didnt need and lots of patience I probably would have given up too, but the happiness of driving it once "done" is SOOO worth it.

I was very fortunate with my build. No issues and was able to get it under my budget. But I did do my research and got creative. Any you are right, there is nothing better than driving a LS Cherokee!

Hooper, you're in Hayward CA. With an LS swap.
Can I hit you back channel to talk about how you are getting it passed by the smog ref?

Will do. Credit to Aggie_Cobra for finding that pulley, I got the idea off his swap thread, which seems to have completely died sadly

Hoooper,

Thanks for the credit for the A/C brackets. I've still got my project and will hopefully get back on it soon. I'm hauling it in from my dad's shop to my house this evening.

p.s.--where are you planning to place the battery?

Yeah I had to put mine back there too. Put it next to the wheel lengthwise to make it less in the way with the seat down.

Good to hear yours is still in progress, need some updates though!

Back