• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5000 rpm idle!!!!!!

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
Just put my engine back together....had a warped head so had it machined, put it all back together......
if fires right up, no problems at all but immediately goes to 5000 rpms and stays there, doesnt run real well there either.
Searching says my exhaust manifold isnt lined up correctly, but also could be a vacuum leak or the butterfly on my intake.
Any other things i need to look for????? (its a 2000)

Check the wiring for the TPS (throttle position sensor) and IAC (idle air control) on the throttle body, as well as for leaky/detached vacuum hoses, leak at the intake manifold gasket, and a leaky power-brake booster.

Check TPS with ignition on using the center lug for a low voltage with throttle plate closed and higher voltage at throttle plate open; or, with no power and plug detached, you should find resistance change between throttle closed and open using center lug and one of the other two lugs on the TPS.

TPS can't cause a 5k idle. It has to get a lot of air to get that high. #1 bet is intake/exhaust gasket leak. That is about all that can leak that much.

I bet either intake/exhaust leak or possibly the head didn't seat right.

Another vote intake/exhaust manifold gasket.

Back