• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$50 for tools at Sears

terrehautian

NAXJA Forum User
Got another Christmas present this weekend (if I had gotten to friends parents house at Christmas would have gotten it then) and it is a 50 dollar gift card to Sears, since I got some sets of sockets and other tools, what should I get that would be good having inside my XJ (maybe even a set to replace my tool boxes I carry).

get a good set of torx bits or allen bits. They are something a lot of people dont buy or think they need...until they realize they really needed it. I am weird (in a lot of ways) but I almost always wear gloves, so I would get some mechanics gloves with extra money....if you can get velcro gloves, I would get some of those too.

I got three pairs of mechanics gloves. Can you post some good torx set links?

the Husky set of torx bits at home depot is like 15 bucks and I have only broken them when using the wrong size for the job. I would get those rather than any craftsman set.

As for what craftsman stuff to get with $50 I am not sure. My toolbag was stolen out of the back of my MJ Saturday night and I just got done spending over ten times that much replacing every tool I know I will absolutely need to work on XJs/MJs, but I am not entirely sure what you will need for only basic repairs, I do all my own work on mine and so I am used to thinking about everything as a basic repair.

Definitely get the 12pt metric Evolv socket set they have, it is ten dollars and includes the 13mm 12pt socket you will need to change axleshafts on the trail. A 5/16 6-point (MUST be 6-point, no 12 point) box wrench is great for changing driveshafts and ujoints, and is like 6 bucks I think... I would also pick up a 10mm allen key bit or 30mm hex socket (depending on which type fill/drain plugs your tcase has, check first) and maybe some other things.

Pick up a good quality set of screwdrivers (including at least the regular size phillips and flathead drivers) and a spark plug socket to fit the XJ if you can't think of anything else.

Do those goofy Evolv universal sockets also work on the CKP bolts?

Ratcheting wrenches with the pivoting ("flex") ends are handy, but they tend to be more expensive. Sears puts tools on sale every few weeks, so you can save some more money by waiting for them to go on sale.

Do those goofy Evolv universal sockets also work on the CKP bolts?

Ratcheting wrenches with the pivoting ("flex") ends are handy, but they tend to be more expensive. Sears puts tools on sale every few weeks, so you can save some more money by waiting for them to go on sale.
Every time I look at those all I can think is "I bet those only work equally well on all types of bolts because they round all types of bolts off equally well."

I only need flex head gearwrenches for a few things - a 15mm is great for doing flexplate to torque converter bolts but if you're never going to pull the tranny or engine there is no point. 99% of the time I can get by with regular gearwrenches... they had both SAE and metric regular sets on sale for 50 each today, that saved me like 30 bucks.

Forgot, a 9/16 stubby gearwrench is great if you ever need to pull the transfer case.

If you don't already own a really big freakin hammer and a breaker bar those are good candidates too.

15mm is also what you need to change the belt on the later models. Ratcheting wrenches are far handier than a socket for that. A flex head would be ideal, IMO.

9/16 flex also useful for manifold bolts.

A BFH, a deadblow mallet, breaker bar (and a chunk of 1" BIP) are always good tools for Jeep owners.

Anyone know the size and type of head on the screw that holds in the AIC valve on the throttle body? I need to get a screwdriver for that since I have to take it off every so often to clean it and using screwdriver bits and adapters to make it work are a pain (surprised I haven't lost one of those yet).

15mm is also what you need to change the belt on the later models. Ratcheting wrenches are far handier than a socket for that. A flex head would be ideal, IMO.

9/16 flex also useful for manifold bolts.

A BFH, a deadblow mallet, breaker bar (and a chunk of 1" BIP) are always good tools for Jeep owners.

Ratcheting wrenches are a really good idea I have thought about getting. I got a BFH and a 1/2" non ratcheting breaker bar already.

36mm for front hubs and a 14mm 12point (if you don't have one already)

Good idea on that 36mm.

36mm for front hubs and a 14mm 12point (if you don't have one already)
it's a 13mm if I know what you're thinking of... but agreed on the 36mm.

If you bother to get a 36mm you should probably grab a torque wrench, though. Too loose or too tight and your unit bearings will wear prematurely, the spec is 175ft-lbs. Since a torque wrench is about 2.5 feet long it is actually way easier to hit 175 than you would think.

it's a 13mm if I know what you're thinking of... but agreed on the 36mm.

If you bother to get a 36mm you should probably grab a torque wrench, though. Too loose or too tight and your unit bearings will wear prematurely, the spec is 175ft-lbs. Since a torque wrench is about 2.5 feet long it is actually way easier to hit 175 than you would think.

I stand corrected, I was going by memory it is 13mm 12point.

Went today because I had to get an oil filter for my grandma's mower (16 of the 56 I spent).

I got a 15mm socket (since mine is apparently missing)
18mm 6pt wrench
13mm 12 pt socket
36mm 12 pt socket
and a 1/2" drive 6" extension

Going into Sears and looking at tools is addicting, so much stuff I want also.

not sure why you got the 18mm... not many 18s I can think of on a jeep. the trans mounts, I guess. the 36mm doesn't need to be 12 point but I guess those are more common on the shelves.

Someone suggested getting the 18mm on here, I was in a hurry so I picked it up.

I did, most standard sets dont come with them, I know the lines into the gear box are 18mm and I've used it a few other times. Both my sets dont have one in them.

Went today because I had to get an oil filter for my grandma's mower (16 of the 56 I spent).

I got a 15mm socket (since mine is apparently missing)
18mm 6pt wrench
13mm 12 pt socket
36mm 12 pt socket
and a 1/2" drive 6" extension

Going into Sears and looking at tools is addicting, so much stuff I want also.

Try walking onto a tool truck week after week.

Back