• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

50% done with half of my LED tail lights.

Beezil said:
I guess I don't understand the point of building a diamond tread plate light box, and then attaching a SURFACE MOUNTED led light????

seems like you are back where you started....and there's the time and money spent getting there.

Well they're not really surface mounts. Time, 4 hours max, money, 5 for the plating, some scrap pile angle and flat stock, and I guess if you count the lights there is a lot of money involved. But they were to be on a different project that didn't happen, so they were just sitting around collecting dust.

CUxj88 said:
paint the plate black
I'm giving that some thought. but I want to see the finished product first.

Thanks to all for the input. But it looks like I'll hold off on starting up the production line. :bawl:

More input is still welcome.

Daryl

Beezil said:
it just looks like they're in danger of getting whacked....
In the end, there will be a clear cover over the lights and plate that will fit the hatch and side like the factory tail light did. Maybe even slightly inboard of the side, so that something (a tree, most likely around here) sliding down the side of the body won't catch the cover and rip it off.

Thanks

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
In the end, there will be a clear cover over the lights and plate that will fit the hatch and side like the factory tail light did. Maybe even slightly inboard of the side, so that something (a tree, most likely around here) sliding down the side of the body won't catch the cover and rip it off.

Thanks

Daryl

Isn't the purpose of the tailight housings to avoid breaking tailights? If you put a plastic cover over the LEDs then you just have more plastic to break and replace.

I used some 3 x 5 x .188 tubing & welded on some tabs to mount it where my tailights were. I installed some oval rubber mounted LEDs in the boxes so I dont have to replace any more tailights. The rubber mounts have some give so even if you back into something the rubber will allow the LED to move in away from damage. These housing are trail tested & are so stout that I can lean the Jeep on them without problems. My 3/16" diamond plate ends at the housing & is a nice sliding surface.

vintagespeed said:
Isn't the purpose of the tailight housings to avoid breaking tailights? If you put a plastic cover over the LEDs then you just have more plastic to break and replace.

I used some 3 x 5 x .188 tubing & welded on some tabs to mount it where my tailights were. I installed some oval rubber mounted LEDs in the boxes so I dont have to replace any more tailights. The rubber mounts have some give so even if you back into something the rubber will allow the LED to move in away from damage. These housing are trail tested & are so stout that I can lean the Jeep on them without problems. My 3/16" diamond plate ends at the housing & is a nice sliding surface.

True, the covers may break. But 1/4 lexan will put up with much more than the stock tail lights. Yours sound indestructible. Mine could give. Once I have the mold built for the covers I can make another in 15 minutes at about a cost of $2.50. Stronger than stock. cheaper than stock to fix when and if something happens. And unless I'm wrong my set up will look good. (to me anyway and that's what counts) I've not seen your tail lights but from what you've described, they wouldn't do it for me. At least not as much as what I'm working on. But then again I've been wrong before.

Daryl

Vintagespeed, Could you post a picture of your taillight set up? I’d like to take a look at it and see if it’s something that would work for me.

PS JEONLYEP, I email the instructions & pics for the adjustable fan switch to you.

vintagespeed said:

I would also like to see some pics of your setup. i to have been thinking of the led type lights.

thx Ryan

Light-Emitting Diodes are the best way to go when you are trying to get the most life and the most light. However, if you go to AutoZone, you can buy LED bulb replacements that fit right where the old bulbs do. More and more sizes are coming about. Just the other day I noticed that they have come out with the smaller 196a replacement (all of the gage and interior bulbs). Thus I think what you are doing is pointless and time consuming unless you are really going for the radical design. If so, you've already succeeded.

Don't take this message the wrong way I support creativity as long as it is warrented.

BTW I was thinking of taking the back off of the tail light housing and making it a big silicone board and buying a bunch of white, red, and yellow LED's and aranging them to go with the current design. So, I'm just as crazy as you.

But I probably won't do it

I'd paint the diamond plate black.

When I do my MJ, I'll use sheet metal to round off the body with a Humvee LED taillight. It'll be a pain, but will be worth it.

Yours is unique, lose the bling and it'll be awesome!

Whew! The power of bling compelled you! :D Looks good IMHO, how are you going to do the clear cover?

Wiley Coyote said:
Vintagespeed, Could you post a picture of your taillight set up? I’d like to take a look at it and see if it’s something that would work for me.

PS JEONLYEP, I email the instructions & pics for the adjustable fan switch to you.

Let's see if this link works:

http://photos.yahoo.com/vintagespeed91786

-jb

hjeepxj said:
Whew! The power of bling compelled you! :D Looks good IMHO, how are you going to do the clear cover?

I'm making a mold out of sheetmetal to form the clear plastic over, then when my XJ comes home (long story, but the condensed version starts with "dad I need something to drive while my car is in the shop.......") I'll trim it to fit and fill in the openings at the top and bottom with more clear. Also am thinking that I'll break some expanded metal to fit over the clear cover to use as a guard. But the main project is now on hold till the daughters car is fixed..... I'll keep you all posted when I get things going again.

Daryl

Behold the power of BLING

Last edited:
Jes said:
Clear lenzz LEDz.
That's full on bling bling!
I almost went with those when I did mine.

Jes

I know, I know but Red was just boring. :snore:

-jb

Back