• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2L Magnum XJ engine swap

OK, I wasn't sure off the top of my head. The gauge is working properly though. I guess I lucked out because I never considered it.

B

I believe it was John D who posted that once you swap in a V8 you'll wonder how you lived without it. Now that it's done, I'd say that's is 100% accurate. I love this motor! John I believe is running a 5.3L Chevy so the only thing his swap and my swap have in common is they're V8's.

Yes 5.3L and yes I still don't know how I ever lived without it. Glad you are happy with yours.

It'd be very hard for me to say whether or not this is a better way to go than a stroker because I've never had a stroker. From talking to others who went the stroker route I've heard good and bad.

John B went from a stroker to the V8 and he says there was a noticable difference.

i'll have to say that yours does sound pretty good, one of the best sounding v8's i've heard. and if you get that wisconsin locktight to kick in it would be really sweet, you could actually finish(or start) a trail without having to tighten bolts :D

i'll have to say that yours does sound pretty good, one of the best sounding v8's i've heard.

Thanks. It sounds even better at lower altitude. :) I would have liked to run duals though, it would have even sounded better yet!

The one thing to remember is this was the Jeeps maiden voyage so though there were more loose bolts than I expected I'm not too surprised either.

Since getting home and while I was waiting for a new hub to come in I've addressed all of this issues I had in Moab. The one problem, which was actually several, were the oil leaks. I've put in a new timing cover seal, replaced the power steering pump, re-installed the power steering cooler and re-did the lines, and most importantly remade the transmission cooler lines. The trans lines I had in there were the original Dakota lines hacked to fit. As you know they ran those pretty close to the starter and my forcing them into place put one of them exactly in the wrong spot. They now come out of the trans, run to the other side in front of the trans pan, and then forward. They are no where near the starter now! :) Also, they look and fit much better now and they are one continuous piece from the trans to the cooler hoses.

I drove it to work yesterday and it didn't leak a drop anywhere. That's good because oil leaks are a pet peeve of mine. Especially on a vehicle that goes off road.

B

So what did you end up doing for the hole in the hood?

Here's the best picture I could find. This solution is temporary but it covers the hole I made in the hood. I need to track down a throttle body "hat" from a Grand because the Dakota's too tall. If the grand one will work then I can make a scoop about 2 inches shorter.

B

DSC01800.jpg

I need to track down a throttle body "hat" from a Grand because the Dakota's too tall. If the grand one will work then I can make a scoop about 2 inches shorter.

If you have trouble finding one, PM me. I've got one I can send you for the price of postage.

In what, the local land fill?

I'm not sure why you would post that comment in this thread when it's pretty clear I've already completed this swap. There were many advantages of going with a V8 from the same parent company. I'm no fan of SBC's as I find them pretty boring. That's not to say they are not good, just boring. The LS motors are very sweet though and GM deserves a great deal of credit for how much power they make. That said, I am thrilled with my 5.2L. The swap is easier in many ways than any Chevy motor and suits the purpose perfectly. So the only place I'll be dropping a Chevy motor into is a land fill. Sorry.

B

I have completed the 318 swap into my 2000 xj. And I love it. As far as it fitting in the Jeep, it fits like a glove once u relocate the battery. I did have to make custom motor mounts. Other than that all the other pieces came from the donor Jeep(93 zj) or the stock parts off of my xj. The hardest part of the whole swap was the electrical. And even that part wasn't so bad if u can get good wire diagrams.

Probably the 44re or 46re that came behind it from the factory... don't think an aw4 will bolt up, different bellhousing pattern. You could put an nv3500 or nv4500 manual behind a 318 easily though, it was a stock application in dodge rams.

so im about to undertake this swap with a 5.2 out of a 2000 ram 1500 into a 2.5 87 comanche, wiring is racking my brain right now, any idea what i will have to do to make it run happily and have everything work?

Back