• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x2 to 4x4 conversion questions

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a wrecked 2001 XJ 4x2 that I am trying to bring back to life. I have been offered a wrecked 1996 XJ 4x4 to help fix it. I am only going to be using the front crossmember (if thats the right name for the structural cross support at the front of the "frame rails" bheind the front bumper") and all the 4x4 components, axle, t-case, auto transmission, and t-case shifter linkage.

Here are my quesrtions:
-Is this a fairly easy swap? Like bolt-in plug and play for the most part? I know I will have to cut a hole in the floor for the t-case shifter.

-Is there anything else I should really know?

I know this swap has been done before and the Cherokee remains virtually unchanged through-out its run except for some changes in drivetrain and major cosmetic changes starting in 97.

the 2001 will ideally have a low pinion front end, putting in a high pinion at stock ride height might not work so well, clearance wise.

the hole for the shifter is usually there... just blocked off, these are high production vehicles. good luck.

From what I gathered in the thread linked above the only change is in the speed sensors. So I am assuming that that is all I would have to deal with. The speed sensors that it is referring to, are they for transmission speed or speed for the speedo? And does anyone know where I can find them?

tysonxj - yeah, if you feel like also swapping the tailshaft, which requires basically gutting the transmission.

The 98 and later AW4 has two sensors, an input and an output, of the magnetic reluctance pickup type (similar to the CPS in theory.) The 97 and down has one sensor, an output sensor, of the reed switch type. All you have to do to put a 98 and later AW4 into a 97 and earlier XJ is swap the tail housing, output speed sensor, and sensor rotor, but putting a 97 and earlier tranny in a 98 and later XJ is intensive enough that most won't want to do it - would require a machine shop and a complete tranny teardown, and possibly more parts swapping.

I would find a better donor, unfortunately. Aim for a 98 or later for almost everything to be the same, or a '00 or later for everything to match up perfectly.

Back