• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd Conversion

Electronic Control Unit Transmision Control unit

I personaly did not use the switch and if I were todo it again I would not use the switch. it is an unnesasary PITA your 89 trans as long as it is an aw4 will bolt up and plug in and work well in your 92 as long as you change the speedometer speed sinsor it the tail shaft on the trans. 90 and earier were cable and 91 up were electronic.

as far as the tach gauge goes you would probably be better off selling the gauges you have in your 89 and buying some from the corect year. it could be done but it would not be worth the headeach.

ok Im not even going to worry about the power/comfort switch then. Now the speedo sensor gets attached to the transfer case correct? Now the one i got off of the 2wd tranny, the nut broke so im going to have to get a new sensor. Can you point me in the right direction as to where i can get the speed sensor?

I dont know what you mean by the nut broke, on your 92 2wd trany,s tail shaft ther should be one bolt that holds a "c" locking clamp on the speed sensor in. on the 89 4wd it will be on the transfer case. any 91 on should be compatable but I would try to get one from a 91-95 just to make sure I beleive that is when they changed to obd2 after 95

I went out and looked at the 2wd tranny and i see what your talking about with the c shaped clip.. Heres a picture of what broke.

46471445.jpg

Now i take it that it should screw right into the back of the transfer on the drivers side correct?

tkm said:
Electronic Control Unit Transmision Control unit

as far as the tach gauge goes you would probably be better off selling the gauges you have in your 89 and buying some from the corect year. it could be done but it would not be worth the headeach.

Yes, the 84-90 used a mechanical speedometer connection while the 91-96 used an electronic speedometer. Other than that, the doner does not have to be the same exact year, just the same connection. Another thing you'll have to do is replace the oil pressure and coolant temp sending units(be prepared to spend about $30 each at NAPA). You might be able to pull them from your 89. I'm 16 too and have very little mechanical knowledge and i did it all in about 2 hours(including removing and installing and rolling the odometer).

Keep up the good work, and just ask if you want more info on the gauges.

MudslinginXJ said:
By any chance would you know if the power/comfort switch is necessary?

It's not necessary. All it did was adjust the shift points to shift at lower speed and less forcefully, or at higher speed (RPM) with a bit more "authority." The "comfort" settings were supposed to provide slightly better gas mileage, but the soggy shifts were actually harder on the tranny.

Chrysler did away with the switch and the tranny after that was hard-wired to the "power" program.

Originally Posted by nitrogt101
Yes, the 84-90 used a mechanical speedometer connection while the 91-96 used an electronic speedometer. Other than that, the doner does not have to be the same exact year, just the same connection. Another thing you'll have to do is replace the oil pressure and coolant temp sending units(be prepared to spend about $30 each at NAPA). You might be able to pull them from your 89
Since the 89 Donor and 92 DD is a different setup with mechanical speedo and electronic speedo im just going to leave it go for now. Right now i have to replace u-joints and ball joints since they are shot so i probably wont have enough money for the oil pressure and coolant temp sending units. I would be able to pull them from the 89 but when i got it there wasn't an engine in it, just the front end, tranny and transfer.

Originally Posted by Eagle
Chrysler did away with the switch and the tranny after that was hard-wired to the "power" program
My 92 Cherokee didn't have the power/comfort switch and the donor vehicle did. Im not going to install the switch, will it hurt anything, and do i have to do any special wiring? Im just double checking to make sure so i dont ruin anything.

Back