• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4Hight issues

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
Two stages to this post.
First is last week with all the snow I had to go to 4 high a it feels and sounds bad. I go to shift out of it and it sticks wont disconnect. Had to come to a stop and N then park then drive and it disconnected. Kept heading to work than got in a bad area snow ice so I went back to 4 high and it did it again. so I pulled over to get it to disconnect. love having a 2wheel drive jeep. long drive home and an old bag in a fiat 500 gave me the finger as she passed me in the snow.
Thought maybe that little drip from the front diff and Tcase is low. So I decide to change the fluids. Did the front and rear axles no shavings everything looked good a bit dark but no chunking and the gear pattern looks nice and shinny still.
Then the Tcase and it was fine dark aswell but no shavings or anything and wasn't low. So now I get it all finished up and take it for a spin go the park across the street and 4 high and it's still doing it.
2001 XJ stock gears fine tcase fine rear fine. no changes to the front axle why or what could be causing this noise and not shifting. O forgot one other time when it did shift out of 4 high at about 5 mph it shifted out but it felt like a hammer hitting the bottom of the jeep slammed hard then out and was fine.

Motor mounts...

sorry wrote this when I was pissed off and cold. I had 4 other things on my mind too. Just don't need more problems with the jeep right now.
I don't think motor mounts would cause the south and the hard shifting out of 4high.

sorry wrote this when I was pissed off and cold. I had 4 other things on my mind too. Just don't need more problems with the jeep right now.
I don't think motor mounts would cause the south and the hard shifting out of 4high.
Did they? I don't know.
Can they? Yes.

Bear in mind, if the engine/transmission/T-case can move around, everything around them will be out of align.

Linkages all looked straight.

The passenger side motor mount looks ok and trying to rock the motor a bit seems solid no shifting. Driver side couldn't really tell its covered up from the air tube and washer fluid bottle relocation I did I'll check tomorrow in better light. That is if it not freezing man it's cold out. I'm just driving the old Toy truck for a few days have to take the jeep in to get new tires on it too. Put the spare tire on and its an older YJ rim and didn't notice the BS was nothing and the tire is rubbing on the leaf spring.

OK, were all the tires the same size, and look equally inflated?

The only time I've heard a BANG! from under our XJ, is when the Mrs. thought she was in 2wd.

How do you check/test your engine mounts?

The jeep is in park mode with this cold weather. The passenger side I could somewhat see felt the front and back didn't feel any cracking. Dad was in the driver seat reving the motor and it didn't move really. I've had bad motor mounts before and the motor would twist a lot. driver side it was getting dark and cold and my air setup and washer bottle was in the way. I will check that next.

Friday on the way home from work the wife's 98 XJ overheated, so I've been working on that now. new radiator on the way I hope wed it'll be here. got a new t-stat and a belt for it.

If you have different size tires, or enough difference in air pressure to make one a different size, you set up gear bind between the axles and the T-case. Then, BANG!

I'm a little more agressive at checking engine mounts. If it's an auto, I hold the brake pedal and slowly rev up the engine, forward and reverse. If its a manual, I'll hold the brake and let the clutch out enough to make the engine buck, forward and reverse. People usually soil their knickers when they see the results of a bad mount. :firedevil

Thanks for the tips I'll have to give that a shot next weekend. By the time I'm off work it's dark out. So cant do much then. that and need to get the wifes jeep back up and running first.
Tire sizes all the same and 34psi all the way around.

was it just the front output bearing? That's the only time it makes that sound. Really didn't want to pull it but looks like it's going that way.
Just got the wife's radiator on the door step last night so first that project then I'll get to my jeep.

Back