• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4cyl XJ?

AKghandi

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some input from the 4cyl owners out there.

I have looked at several threads but they seem to spiral into get a 4.0, swap a 4.0 so on and so forth..I want to know what they are actually like to live with.

I already own a 90 4.0 cherokee, but I am looking at buying a newer 4cyl cherokee because they are just better value for money. There's a couple 99' 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 2 doors in my area for less than 1k, in pretty good shape.

VS 4.0s going for almost double that in worse condition.

I also just like the idea of a 4banger. I used to wheel a lifted Subaru GL.:greensmok

My plan for it would be 31s 3" lift and eventually if not immediately 4.88s. that way I could go back up to 33s eventually

What kind of mpgs? how well does it hold 65mph? how well does it offroad especially mud and hill climbs?

my current jeep is a 90 4.0 aw4 with 4.5" and 33s.
I have wheeled it exactly 4 times in the year since I built it. living with around 10 mpg the whole time.

Another reason is my jeep has d30/d35 that both need a rebuild. getting a newer set of d30/8.25 axles would cost about the same as just getting a new jeep in much better shape. I live in Alaska, no PNP's here.

Plan is to sell the current jeep and build a 4cyl to a more mild DD setup that will go down basic trails and serve camping duty

Just my opinions here.
I have an '89 6 cyl. 4x4 w/auto trans AND a '96 4 cyl. 4x2 manual. Both 2 doors.
Both "seem" to get about the same mileage. Both also stock height.
'89 is geared 3.55 (stock), the '96 is 4.11 (stock) so it revs about 25% faster at any given speed.
I wouldn't mind having; ". . . 99' 4cyl 5 speed 4x4 2 doors . . . for less than 1k, in pretty good shape." as they're hard to find that cheep down here.
But I don't think I'd build one much although;
"Plan is to sell the current jeep and build a 4cyl to a more mild DD setup that will go down basic trails and serve camping duty."
Might be fine. My '96 with added PowerTrax Limited Slip has taken me through Death Valley, Joshua Tree and more without problem as long as I keep to regular 4x4 trails, I have both front and rear tow points and they have been used.
Mike
In mostly sunny Southern Calif.

I've owned 2 2.5's in my life. I got rid of both of them as soon as possible.

They're no improvement on mileage, forget passing anyone, 65mph+ is wishful thinking...

4.0 or Honda, IMO.

My first car was a 1986 2.5L XJ. Like Lowrange2 said, they aren't much for mileage. Or passing power. But mine would hold highway speeds no problem. I'd regularly make 2.5 hour highway runs at 75 mph and had no issues. That said, that was on stock height and stock 235/75/15 tires.

If it was me and the goal was a basic budget camping truck I'd:

- lift it 1.5-2" with a quality set of springs/shocks. If you go to 3" with a late-model, you might need a slip yoke eliminator and a new rear driveshaft to go with it. My 4.0L 1998 on 3" needed it, YMMV.
- put aggressive 30" A/Ts on it (lower rolling resistance than 31s, better mileage, blah blah). If tire clearance is an issue with late-model flares, put early-model flares on it from Rockauto.com.
- Get factory t-case and fuel tank skids (since they're light) if you can find them.
- Get factory tow hooks on it, and recovery gear.
- Go wheeling. Optionally add a locker later. Maybe box in the lower control arm mount and passenger side upper control arm mount on the Dana 30, if I knew how to weld.

I think 31's would make it feel like a dog, you'll lose mileage, you may have lower control arm rubbing, and you won't gain a whole lot for a casual wheeling truck vs 30s. I also think you'd have to gear down (from the existing 4.11 to 4.56 or 4.88) to go any larger than 31's, and that'll be expensive.

I owned a 99 4cyl 4door 5spd for 8 years. Bought it with 133K on it and sold it with 310K.

I was still going strong when I sold it. I now own a 01 6cyl 4door 5spd and I can for sure say my 01 gets a little better MPG's. Both have the same lift and tire size. The one thing I loved about the 99 though is it has a LOT more room to work in under the hood :)

All very good points. Thank you.

I am still on the fence about it but there's really only a few options in my area for a decent newer xj for under 1k. a couple 4.0s with major issues like transmissions or engines. and then there's a coupe 4cyls with no real problems. all for about the same amount of money

My jeep is a renix, and no matter what I do I cant get the MPGs past say about 11. I cant do it anymore. plus I really over built my jeep 4.5" and 33x12.50 MTR/Ks is not a great setup for a DD.

The biggest argument I hear is that they are slow, I'm ok with that. highway speed limits here are 65-55. no need to go faster than that.

My other thought is toyota guys drive their 22r's no problem and they have about the same power. granted there's probably a little less weight to their pickups.

Heres the ones im looking at
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5414627363.html
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5414763594.html

Both look like a good buy.

I part Jeeps out and would buy both of those just for the 4.10 axles that they have in them.

Just don't expect killer mileage out of either one. I'd say you'd be super luck to get 16-18mpg.

I owned and 85 2.5L. I put in a Mopar Purple Cam and headers and a 2.5" exhaust all the way back. I converted to the throttle body injectors. It had plenty of guts for the trails. It got me there over the high mountain passes here in Colorado, but sometimes at the top, I was down to 30mph. I was running 4.56's with 35's. I could hold 75 on the freeway but you had to shift down frequently. In normal driving at around 55mph, I was getting approximately 25 mpg. Most of my driving was at 5,000 ft elevation. When I dropped down to 3,000 ft, it had a bunch more power.

I used to get 18-20mpg out of my 4cyl with 29" tires.

Around 160K miles I started get misfire codes on #1. Ended up being a burned valve.

The only other issue I ever had with the engine was the timing chain tensioner. If you hear a tick/knock sound in the front of the engine, do yourself a favor and check it before it comes apart a piece of it gets under a piston and causes real issues.

16-18MPG would be amazing at this point. especially if thats in the city.

if i could get 16-18 on the highway too id be ecstatic

My typical average mileage in my MJ is 17-18. That's mostly city and a small amount of highway. 88MJ 4.0L, BA10/5, 2WD for meow, 3.5" lift. 31.5" AT tires, F8.8 3.73 gears with LSD. On my last long distance trip I averaged 26 MPG.
I really wish I had deeper gears, but someday..

That said, proper gearing helps with driveability and mileage.
If I found a nice late model 2 door/4cyl for a reasonable price, I would a 4.0L or V8 swap.

I have an 84 2.5. 5speed. When stock I converted to a weber carb, 2.25 cat back exhaust, and hi flow cat and got 19 mpg around town and 22-23 highway. Now its lifted 3.5" 31s with 4.88 gearing and a high performance 2.5 from 505 performance, which has about the same power as a stock 4.0, and I get 17 around town and 20-21 highway.

I have (had) a 98 2.5l 5 speed 2 door 4x4. I say had because it's currently not drive able my gf killed the motor had over 300k anyways still have the truck in the yard. I loved that truck my favorite xj I've owned so far. Highway tread tires one size smaller than stock on light wheels I was getting about 24mpg mostly highway driving alittle city. If you already have a lifted 4.0l one to take off road leave the 2.5 alone and just drive it. If you ring out the rpm's they are pretty fun to drive and have no problems passing on the highway. My current plans are to rebuild the 2.5 and hot rod it alittle bit, lower it 3in, and eventually 5.3 swap it with a trailblazer ss awd transfercase

I've seen the new (2015/16) xj's and they have 4 bangers in them. Not sure if they ALL do but the couple I checked out did.... And covered with plastic.
As an off-road vehicle (like jeep is supposed to be) I would not try to do a 4 cyl in an xj. The old Willy's, sure. But these new things? Nope. But if you're just needing it as a DD, go for it.
Only 4 cyl I've ever had was 3 different Chevy cavaliers. First two I couldn't kill ... Even after they got totaled (body was shot/bent beyond fixing) the last one was a newer model and the engine gave up the ghost... Then I worked my magic (put a new head gasket on it) and sold it.

AKGhandi, what gearing do you have in the 90? Stock 3.07s?
If so, I bet that 90 would wake up with a set of 4.10s. The axles from the 99 are better assuming it has a Chrysler 8.25 rather than the Dana 35. The front axles doesn't have the CAD and the rear axle has 29 spline rather than the earlier 27 spline Chry 8.25s for a bit more strength. If the 99 has a Dana 35 it may only be geared 3.54 though it still wouldn't be a bad swap for your 90, 9 years newer and no CAD on the front.

The trans in the 99 4 cylinder also isn't great (AX5).

:huh::rolleyes:

The last new XJ was in 2001.. the new "Cherokee" (KL) are 4 cylinder but they also have an 8 speed transmission and are front wheel drive when 4 wheel drive is not engaged or equipped. Apples to Oranges.

The 2014 Cherokee... The one that looks more like a Mitsubishi than a jeep, with the slanted headlights.

Back