• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4BT Cummins Diesel MJ Comanche. Will it work?

As far as I have read, the Renix system isn't all that bad, just complicated. It works well but it isn't at all standardized for pulling engine codes. My XJ is a renix engine and the way I knew it was, besides the year (1990), is that the engine coolant reservoir is a remote bottle located on the right side of the engine bay next to the firewall. If you have that set up good bet is that you have a Renix management system.

You can put HO head and intake manifold on that engine but you have to keep the Renix fuel rail and injectors.

The 1999 has been tauted as the best intake manifold netting somewhere around 10-12hp just as a bolt on. Not sure what the numbers are with the HO head.

And there are some head/intake manifold combos that aren't exact matches. The runners on some intakes don't exactly match up with the ports on the head so you either have to modify the intake manifold or get one that fits that head. But thats kinda the limit of my knowledge on that. I know that more in depth info is posted in the forums. So a quick search should get you most of your answers.

Edit: and some of the sensors on the post Renix heads are different too. Like the thermostat sending unit for a Renix is actually 2 separate sensors. One sends a signal to the temp gauge in your instrument panel and one sends a signal to the ECU. On a OBDI or OBDII engine the temp sending unit is unified, so one sensor provides a signal for both the temp gauge and the ECU.

Last edited:
Yep, Renix is 90 and older. However.. you can swap on 91+ 4.0 "performance upgrades" as better flowing intake and head, and stay with renix computer management system.

If I could do it, I'd stick with my Renix system, and put an HO head on and prolly use a '95 intake manifold. Some people swear by the 1999 and later intake but everything I read its a toss up for hp gains.

BTW, I dug this up:

HO head #7120 & #0630

Valve lift (in)... 0.1 ... 0.2 ... 0.3 ... 0.4 ... 0.5 ... 0.6
Intake flow.... 66.0 128.0 179.0 206.0 209.0 209.0
Exhaust flow. 55.0 100.0 120.0 136.0 141.0 141.2

the 7120 and 0630 cast numbers are the highest flowing both for intake and exhaust ports... I plan on doing some more research on the intake manifolds.

Back