• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 or ford 8

44 just for the simplicity of things. I just scored one today at the local wrecking yard for $125.00. :thumbup:
Dan.

do they both offer the same lockers?? would the track lock in the 8.8 need to be change if i went to 4.56??? are gears and lockers the same price with both?? is it hard to hook up the brakes for the 8.8???

Similar locker options and prices. Brakes are easy to hook up. Another good thing about the 8.8 is if you can find one with lower mileage, you likely won't have to replace much to get it ready for the road. New calipers, rotors, pads and stuff add up quickly. Mine only had 42k on it, so I didn't have to replace anything.

I like the idea of the 8.8 only because every parts store that I know of stocks parts for them. There are tons of aftermarket support for the 8.8, and lots of junk yards full of spare axles.[/QUOTE]

That's true, you see the Mustang crowd standing behind these axles alot especially when you do a ebay search. I do like the ford 8.8 in my 94' Wrangler with 4.88 gears, the dana 44 is probably the most commonly used diff because it was used front or rear. The ford 8.8 is so easy to find because there were so many exploders made. If you do go with a ford 8.8, make sure you weld the axle tubes to the diff because the tubes will spin and really screw things up. The disc brakes on the ford 8.8 are great and many aftermarket axles like Dynatrac, Currie, etc use them and/or model their disc brakes after them for rear applications.
Troy

Back