• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6L Stroker

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
Throwing this out there to see if there is any interest before I dive back in...

4.6L stroker engine (long block):

2002 TJ block (extra webbing), bored 3 over, originally built with a kit from the now-defunct "accurate power" including custom pistons and melling hi-flow oil pump. Put @ 90k on it with this build, no issues whatsoever during that time.

Notable power loss occurred in fall 2009, and a rebuild was undertaken over the winter -- crank was machined and polished, new rod/main bearings installed, new Crower "baja beast" cam, new Crower cam-saver lifters, head planed and 3-angle valve job, new pushrods.

The engine has been broken in (at 2700 rpm for a 1/2 hour with high-zinc additive, with subsequent oil change) and now has a couple hundred road miles on it (diagnositc mostly, and to the machine shop). The engine post-rebuild has a notable knock. This knock was present before the head was re-worked, and remains after. Engine idles well, has good compression in all cylinders, pulls hard... but it has a notable knock (don't want it said I didn't tell you);). The knock doesn't seem low-end, but who knows. The knock doesn't seem high-end, and wasn't rectified by the head work, but who knows. It is my current belief that it is a wrist pin issue, but who knows.

I'm asking $1k as it sits. If I can't get close to that I'll tear it down, figure out the problem, and re-post it for sale at a higher price -- good deal for someone who feels like doing a little diagnostics/repair.:cool:

PM me if you're interested or know someone who is!

P1230013.jpg

and yeah, I know its upside-down... maybe that's why it knocks.:conceited

I know one of you sick bastids want this. And you are sick bastids. Local-NAXJA only deal...

I'll throw in the 1k lb Harbor Freight engine stand for absolutely NOTHING!!! I know, I know, my PM box will be full in a matter of minutes... :speepin:

Sale pending! :cheers:

aaaaaand -- its still available. Don't make me tear this thing down fellas, instead take advantage of me. please. :cool:

All right, you bastids, you've made me set a deadline -- If'n it isn't sold by the end of September, I will tear this bad boy down, and the price will go up... not just an idle threat, I'll friggen do it. I'm crazy like that. Don't make me act crazy. BUY MY STROKER!!!! :looney:

the shop that redid the head did, and narrowed it to 2 or 5 (LOL). I suspect a wrist pin on 5.

I'd be willing to bet it's the #5, because every4.0 I've seen and listened to makes that same #2" rocker click", I don't know what it is about them but THEY ALL DO IT! mine included. dammit I wish I had a job I'd buy that from ya in a heart beat!:laugh3:

Want some help with your resume? ;)

are the valve springs all new? and did you check your valve clearances w/the new cam (playdoh on piston)?I just can't see you having pin or bearing clearance problems this early in a rebuild (providing ya plast-gauged, piston to cyl. etc. before reassembley)

all the bearings are new and in spec (plastigaged), except cam bearings (no indication that needed replacing). New valve springs (Comp), new cam (Crower), new lifters (Crower cam-savers), but old pistons -- to answer your question, the shop that had the head work done checked valve clearance, I did not personally... BUT, unless one of you bastids knocks over a gas station and buys this beast, I'll add that to the list in a few weeks when I tear her open again!

I kid, I kid - no thievery or violence, please!

in that case... I bet you're right it probably is the pin (worn). dang easy fix guys... pity the fool that has the cash lying around and doesn't buy it!!!! what are ya gonna have to do? buy a pin and possibly a piston of the same size ($50 tops) for a bad-assed stroker.... It's not rocket surgery!!!!!:guitar:

loren - if you talk me into keeping it, I'll have to kick your arse...

T minus 10 days....

If you wanna just give it away... I GUESS I am willing to take it off your hands.... ;)

Back