• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:56s with 35s???

Goatman said:
It's just a matter of not knowing what they're missing, like never drinking good wine, or having a glass of good scotch.

Sure, you can drive around, it'll move down the road. But, the happiest day of your XJ life will be when you finally do a gear change.

x1000

I love my new gears, on the road and on the trail.

If anybody thinks 3.55 is fine with 35's.....bum a drive in somebody's stock rig or somebody's modded rig withthe appropriate gears (in my opinion, 4.88 or better).....there is no comparison.....unless all you use your "rig" for is mall cruising.....Listen to those who know.....I for one grow weary of hearing this over and over...if you wont listen to me....listen to the Goatman :worship:

I will look for the link I use, but it converts gear/tire combos to show how a new combo would compare.

If stock is 3.55/27's or 28's, then 35's would probably need something like a 4.56 or 4.88 just be like stock gearing. Bigger tires cut your gear down.

A lot of the calculators do not take into account the trans final drive ratio...

The method I use is to express the size difference of the stock and oversized tires as a percentage....example...stock 27".....oversize....35".....the percentage difference is 22.9%. The stock gear is 3.55.....add 22.9%....the new ratio is 4.36.....closest deeper ratio is 4.56

So 4.56 is good....but if you account for the extra rotational mass of the large tires, the acceleration won't come exactly in line....the rpm will be very close to stock at a given speed...with 4.88 gears, the engine will rev 8.7% higher than with 4.56....less than 200 rpm more...

There is no substitute for gear....

flyer0532 said:
ummmm....i have a 97xj5spd and im runnin 35's with my stock gears still.....works fine for me....lol
haha, i laugh at people like you when you pull up at a gas station and start asking questions about my rig. "Those 35's" "yea" "what gears you run" "huh" Bet you haven't seen 5th gear since puttin 35's, barely 4th probably

I laugh at my xj with 35's and 4:88s. Sometimes I just shake my head and say that it does not make sense that my jeep hauls pure ass with 35's on. Sometimes I start off in 2nd just b/c 1st is such a jolt.

You think you got it bad,I've got 34's with 3.07's:scared: it plain sucks on the road but in 4 lo on the trails I run its not bad(no rocks).Can't wait to do my axle swap and gear down!!My wallet hates me....
btw,why would you break anything with 4.56's?You have more of a chance causing damage with those high gears your running.

outlander said:
why would you break anything with 4.56's?You have more of a chance causing damage with those high gears your running.
his current gears are stronger , more chance of ruining a tranny or exploding spider gears

Back