• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
This is somewhat of a noob question. I just got done installing 4.56 gears in my Chrysler 8.25. I know that this axle cannot be geared any deeper than that. I will be buying a new set of tires soon (currently on 33's) and I was wondering how bad it is to have 35" tires with these gears. I tried searching and could not find my answer. Please help...

hi mundur. lots of guy will tell you that 4.88s are the way to go with 35's. on the road i found that when i went from 33's to 35's with my 4.56 gears my tach went up by about 150rpm. that means that at 75 i'm spinning around 2650ish rpm. certainly in the powerband so i really didn't give up much. but since i'm running a 3.8 atlas i really can't say much about the bottom side. if i can find it, there is a real good gearing calculator from someone on this site that seems to be accurate (within tire diameter tolerances anyway), and i'll post it up for you. but i would think that with 4.56 to 4.88 being a little under 7% change it should be okay. also one would need to know what kind of wheeling you do. heavy rock crawling requires a lot lower than mud or general overall trail running/crawling.

It really depends on what you wheel? I am running 4.56's with a set of 35" Trxus MTs on DIY beadlocks offroad and a set of 35" General Trails APR's on streetlocks everyday and with the DD tires I am averaging 17mpg on the road, but I also drive at ~55mph locally and turn 2750-2900rpms highway which equates out too 66-72mph and 21mpg. But I have also done some extensive exhaust, intake and MAP adjustments. It was along road to get where I am now with 180K on the ticker, but she runs well and will get up and go with the pedal hits the floor. Offroad, she does fine with the 2.72 lowrange and aw4 auto for the trails I run up here in the northeast.

what happens if you put the 4.56 in and run 31s till you get the 33 what should i expect?

hagermanfolley said:
what happens if you put the 4.56 in and run 31s till you get the 33 what should i expect?
A realy nice tire frier! On that note I'm planning on 4.56's and 32's just because my rig is so heavy. As it stands with the 3.55's and 31's it's very doggy. To the point that it's hard to even keep up with traffic unless I make it down shift, or run in 3rd.

CartsXJ said:
It really depends on what you wheel? I am running 4.56's with a set of 35" Trxus MTs on DIY beadlocks offroad and a set of 35" General Trails APR's on streetlocks everyday and with the DD tires I am averaging 17mpg on the road, but I also drive at ~55mph locally and turn 2750-2900rpms highway which equates out too 66-72mph and 21mpg. But I have also done some extensive exhaust, intake and MAP adjustments. It was along road to get where I am now with 180K on the ticker, but she runs well and will get up and go with the pedal hits the floor. Offroad, she does fine with the 2.72 lowrange and aw4 auto for the trails I run up here in the northeast.
Sounds about right.

My average is about 17mpg now. (not the same setup tho, see sig)

scoobyxj said:
A realy nice tire frier! On that note I'm planning on 4.56's and 32's just because my rig is so heavy. As it stands with the 3.55's and 31's it's very doggy. To the point that it's hard to even keep up with traffic unless I make it down shift, or run in 3rd.
And to think, people say 3.55's and 35's are fine.
IXNAYXJ said:
If you're running an automatic, you should be fine. The only time it'll be an issue is on really steep rock sections, but even then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

-----Matt-----
So what are you saying about Manuals?

thanks guys. i really appreciate it. I don't do heavy rock crawling. more of a trait rider. I try to make a few trips to uwharrie every year. It sounds like I will be ok if I step up to 35's. thanks for the help.

Back