• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears and 35??

PS: I'm one of the "older members who's been around XJ's for a long time" :rtm:
When I say older, I mean older forum/club-wise, as in, guys who've been here since 02, 03. I'm talking guys who've built XJs I know of and are well-respected on the forums. As I said the last time you latched onto this argument, I'm basing my opinion on the experiences of members who've been here longer than either of us have been.

Math and calculations aren't everything. On paper, a 4.10 gearset would be just about perfect for my XJ. In reality, a 4.10 would not be worth the regear for me. 1 tooth on the pinion and 2 on the ring gear isn't anything I'm worrying about.

As far as doing 80? Where would you get such a silly idea? I can't remember the last time my XJ saw 80 mph. I will tell you I appreciate the low down torque to get moving, climb over a rock, or get the tires going in deep sand.

i've seen a number of 4.88 gears fail, but most were the ring gear, not the pinion.
Yup...I've said this before. The R&P are both weaker...but the ring gear is weaker than the pinion in this case.

When I say older, I mean older forum/club-wise, as in, guys who've been here since 02, 03. I'm talking guys who've built XJs I know of and are well-respected on the forums. As I said the last time you latched onto this argument, I'm basing my opinion on the experiences of members who've been here longer than either of us have
How do you know how long I've been here? Remember the old forum format (01, 02-ish)? I do...I was here. Don't make assumptions. My join date is not indicative of my total time here...different screen names before :rtm:

Regeared to 4.56 in prep for 35's a couple of months ago. So.. the decision of 33's or 35's is still not decided. Then, is 4.5" of lift OK for the 35's, or upgrade... but that's prob never been debated before. I'll have to check.

Just to throw it in there, would it be worth getting 16 inch rims... that way you can do a 315 75 r16 wich is like a 34" kind of a happy medium PLUS... you have a thicker sidewall with the bigger rim in most cases.

(someone check me on this but it seems like a fair option)

I have 4.56 & run 285 75 16s and the go pedal seems real touchy, hard to baby it on rocks.

:smoker:

35s and 4.56s.. with a 46re...:pig:

The D30 is weak enough.. I've seen 3 sets of 4.88s break in person.. I've never seen 4.56s break.. Does that mean I'm all set with no worrys? Hell no.. I just based my decision off experience, not what i "read" I'll blow any D30 ring and pinion set to pieces by simply "hammering down":pig:

considering 4.56s have 3 pinion teeth in contact and 4.88s have 2 that adds up to a little bit more strength. that being said i haven't broke mine yet.

I run 35's with an NV3550 and 4.88 gears.IF you have ANY hills you will want the 4.88's I had 4.10's and 33's and went to the 35-4.88 combo-night and day diff.I have a correct reading speedo and run 3K at 75 mph.Hills have no effect on speed up or down.I get 16-17 mpg this way.

The higher the ratio, the weaker the gear set. Period.

It was me...we are talking about D30's.

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html

here's the one link i found in my favorites when i was doing my 9in research.

oh and we were talking about d30's. somebody said earlier that there weren't any axles that had more tooth engagement with numerically higher gears, i believe otherwise
Thanks for the link, interesting stuff:greensmok

If we're talking about D30's, and you even said we're talking about D30's...why are you talking about Ford 9" here?

I have 4.56s, dana 30 and 35s and they do just fine. Got the axles and tires cheap which is why I went that route. Honest 15 mpg highway and enough power up to 60mph. Hills and passing high speed isn't the best though. No breakage yet.

I just picked up a f250 dana 44 and will be gearing it to 4.88s or deeper and keeping the 35s.

sea level but plenty of hills where I'm at.

4 pages later, i think it can be said: 4.56's are fine for 35's. Thank you and good night!

Back