• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L I6 engine repair in STL?

spencer elliott

NAXJA Forum User
ive got an 01 and the engine began to tick not long ago. it speeds up when accelerating. it started out only ticking when it was cold and as the engine warmed up the tick went away. then about a week and a half ago the tick got louder and did not go away when warm. its loud and can be heard inside and outside the XJ. this is breaking my heart because i have really taken care of this engine. and because these engines are supposed to run forever even with some neglect.

i got the XJ when the odo read 23K and it now has 96K on it. ive been running fully synthetic for years now. no leaks. i did however go about 6K between the last 2 oil changes (been extremely busy), but thought because i was using fully synthetic oil of which is "guaranteed" to last 10K, i assumed that i would be ok.

so after it got louder i immediately called an engine repair shop to diagnose my tick. the shop i took it to is run by a jeep tech that worked for Chrysler and for Ruether as mechanic. so this guy knows the 4.0 I6 well. ok so when i get there he pulls out his mech stethoscope and starts to listen. as he goes down the valve cover he gets to the rear and says that it def sounds like a lifter. after having a few friends of mine who are mechanics listen to it, they also tell me that sound is to high on the engine to be a knock and that its likely a lifter. so the shop owner tells me that the valve cover needs to come off to inspect the lifters and rocker arms etc... he also suggested an engine flush and an oil change with a lucas oil treatment. i let him do the work and it did not help the tick at all. he said all the lifters look fine and he tightened them down. said he checked the flywheel and it was fine. he tells me to drive the jeep for a while to let the lucas oil stuff do its thing and see if it quiets the noise down and then to bring it back in if it isnt any better to discuss other options. it has only been 140 since, but the noise is not going anywhere.

so now ive got a bunch of questions...

even if the lifters look ok, can they still be damaged and making this noise?

would it be worth replacing the lifters before the option of engine replacement/rebuild?

are there any shops in STL that would be recommended to diagnose my 4.0 I6?

this thing is killing me as i love my jeep, but the tick is so loud its embarrassing. it is seriously driving me nuts the way it is.

any suggestions?

well, it may be an opportunity to invest in a head thats not an 0331...shouldnt have to do anything close to a full rebuild. could also just replace your lifters, but xj heads with good valves are pretty easy to find, and not to bad of a job since everything is front and center.

Is the exhaust header cracked at the collector?

150 bucks plus install sounds a bit more reasonable than a stroker. But I agree, the 0331 head is known to crack may as well get rid of it if it is indeed a lifter issue.

I am gonna say that you need to check the exhaust header at the Y pipe (or collecter as some call it). It is VERY common that those will get a small crack in the weld nd then start the infamous tick. Take it from me, I have replaced them on virtually every XJ or TJ I have had (and that is a crapload, clsoe to 15 rigs....), and it sounds exactly like what you are describing.

I am gonna say that you need to check the exhaust header at the Y pipe (or collecter as some call it). It is VERY common that those will get a small crack in the weld nd then start the infamous tick. Take it from me, I have replaced them on virtually every XJ or TJ I have had (and that is a crapload, clsoe to 15 rigs....), and it sounds exactly like what you are describing.

Which is the reason I told him to check it already Cheesedude! :laugh3:

I saw that, but for 2 reasons I still suggested it.

#1 - I wanted to copy you
#2 - I figured it would sound better coming from someone that actually knew what they were talking about. :D

#2 - I figured it would sound better coming from someone that actually knew what they were talking about. :D

Touche.........dick! :D

if it does turn out to be a lifer that's stuck/gumed up, try some marvel mystery oil in it for a week before you change the oil next time.

It's detergent, and a lot easier on the motor (and the wallet) than an "engine flush"

thanks for all the replies!

as much as id would like it to be the exhaust manifold i dont think it is. the mechanic used his stethoscope and when he got to the back (towards the firewall) of the valve cover he said its "def coming from there". and a co worker of mine also took a quick look and agreed that its coming from that spot. he said the noise was "high up on the engine"...

im still going to find another place to get a second opinion.

as for the suggestions on having the cylinder head replaced... what would i be looking at price wise for a used one? or a new one? and any idea on what labor would cost to have it swapped?

ive started a business and still working part time at my other job so time is non existent for me right now.

Last edited:
Back