• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Tuning Exercise Phase 2: Planning for the supercharger

ditch the stock ECU altogether. Go with megasquirt: timing, spark, fuel, boost, meth injection, what's not to like. I keep meaning to get one and start playing with it again. I downloaded the simulator and software a while back then got out of it while in flight school.

My EMS V2 will do that but 10x more lol...jump maps on the flip of a switch, they have a can gauge out that shops you everything...
It can show egt, afr, knock, air temps, water temps, oil temps, throttle position, speed/rpms...Everything imaginable..and I have every single sensor & a harness. I payed 2100 & change for it. Never been used all sealed up still in original box...I'm trying to get 1500 for it all and I'll cover shipping!

casual, thanks for the hands- on approach, I will send you messages as I'm going through this project but here are my thoughts on what you said so far. I have many theories in my head but zero experience with forced induction , so appreciate the insight

- Why an air to water? I was just "theoretically " considering that water has more than 10 times the heat absorption capacity of air, but honestly I tend to trust experience and try to match it with the theory later. I tend to agree on the air to air inter-cooler. I was actually thinking of measuring my intake temp now and taking it as a base line. I'm sure its very hot.

- I'm very interested on the meth injection piece.
But couple of things, my stock 2000 4.0 injectors are 21.5lb/hr not 18lb .they run at around 49-45psi rail pressure that is not adjustable as there is no fuel return line. The regulator is integrated with the pump in the tank. The stock injectors are capable of running at 11 afr ( AEM wide band gauge ) near the redline. I also got a spare set of hesco 24 lb/hr ones. I have no problem running meth except where to source meth itself:D. I live in egypt so i need to figure out how to source it from an industrial application or something, it wont be readily available for automotive use. maybe you can help what is the chemical name / grade of meth? and where exactly is it injected in the intake manifold?

- The biggest problem with the 2000 factory ECU is the following.Running at a very lean 14.5 to 15.5 afr below 2500 rpm and at ALL part throttle modes. I have to FLOOR it to get the afr jumping after some hesitation to a steady 13 then 12 then 11 near the redline.
The main function which I need from the piggyback or any fuel computer is OVERRIDING the stupid two oxygen sensors input without tripping the ECU. They seem to interfere very heavily in the fueling that I cant even use the simple tricks like adjusting the MAP sensor voltage to go a little rich . The ECU will just cut it back again. If I can override the their signal or plug in a simulator or whatever and design a fuel return line to the tank with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator shouldn't this do the job? Love to hear ideas on this.

- I love the AEM v2 but I just cant afford it :), I might even not be able to afford the AEM FIC with the patch extension harness thats specific to jeeps, nearly 600$ :). there is one specific version for mopar ECU's a well ,however I'm interested in the miscellaneous items you mentioned. I will contact you separately. but I need you experience with turbos

- I am actually starting to hit a dead end with the supercharger packaging under the hood, my prime option , the eaton M90 just wont fit under the cherokee hood with an intercooler, and i'm not doing any scoops or cuts there. And i just cant find a centrifugal blower ( vortech, paxton, etc ) under 2000$ , they are very rare used as well, I actually started shifting my thoughts to a turbo charger .

- Question for the turbo experts: why does the turbo have to be at the exhaust manifold area, what happens if ( due to space limitation ) I go downstream of the down pipe, reroute the exhaust and mount the turbo under the car somewhere at the other side of the engine bay. I know it sounds silly, but it should work.

- what do you think of my flow calculations : assuming 75% to 80% VE at 5200 rpm the 4.0 flows 273 CFM, multiply that by a pressure ratio of 1.5 and I have around 410 CFM at 8 psi . around 28-30 lb/min . matching that to various compressor maps I found the Turbonetics T04E54 Trim matching perfectly at an efficiency of 74% at maximum flow. any good sources for such a turbo used or an one equivalent to it? I'm targeting to find a good used one for around 500$.

- what does control maximum boost, is it the waste-gate setting or the blow off valve? from what I know the purpose of the blow off is just to vent when the throttle is shut under boost.

- Where do you usually connect the oil supply line to the turbo, I know the drain goes in the oil pan, but where does the in-feed come from?

- what are typical intake air temps as they're coming out of a turbo at 8 psi , just to get a feeling,180 F ? higher, lower?

hope to hear some thoughts!!

Mounting a turbo downstream will still work, it will just not be as effective. There is a company that makes them for GM f-body cars.

Boostwerks on here has a log manifold he sells to park one in the engine bay.

Yup hes buying rubbing alcohol..like the stuff to clean cuts & wounds...its a 46/54 mix..basically 50/50 and is 100% perfect to run..alot of STI and EVO's guys do the same. Its a cheap solution that no negatives.
As far as controlling boost, you can run a boost controller or go cheap and reliable with a wastegate spring..say you have a 7spi spring, it won't let you boost more than 7psi..This would be the option I would take.
I didnt know your year of jeep lol. I have a renix and love my options with it lol. So simple.
Turbos are more effcient and you'll love the sound! You can mount it in the bay just fine, have you seen "boostwerks" turbo Xj? So nice! Don't do a turbo mounted off the exhaust, do it off the manifold. Turbo spool will be quicker because the exhaust hasn't cooled and honestly theres plenty of room to work with! And your intercooler if you do a air-air setup, you can mount it in front of the jeep like behind the bumper or something, no need to have it in the bay....Check the 2JZ swap thread on this forum for ideas. He had a FMIC on his jeep.

I'd run the 24lbs injectors now that I see you only have 21lbs..its not a big jump and its worth it to have the extra fuel! And a small meth kit with a 3GPH (gallon per hour) nozzle..devils own sells a great universal kit that uses the windsheild resivior to store the meth..Its so simple and about $200. The thing with meth is the finer the mist the better it'll cool. So you want the finest spray you can, more isn't better here! Mist or fog is best, so that means a smaller nozzle and a higher PSI at the pump. I believe some kits come with a 250PSI pump. We run Chads with a 5gph and 198psi, its a perfect mist! He runs the universal devils own kit but will be getting a full on AEM setup with a truck mounted resivoir soon!

We bought a T-fitting for chads oil feed. The T-fitting goes inbetween the oil filter housing and the filter itself. Again check "boostwerks" to see what he did.
Air intake temps will vary greatly! No way to gauge that. You best bet to lower them in meth injection, thats the soul purpose of it. It just has added perks like fighting detenation & raising octane & steam cleaning the motor lol...Soul purpose is to lower intake charge temps though.

ask away if I missed anything! Turbo>supercharger. :thumbup:

thanks man!,,u missed the fuel control piece the question was:

- The biggest problem with the 2000 factory ECU is the following.Running at a very lean 14.5 to 15.5 afr below 2500 rpm and at ALL part throttle modes. I have to FLOOR it to get the afr jumping after some hesitation to a steady 13 then 12 then 11 near the redline.
The main function which I need from the piggyback or any fuel computer is OVERRIDING the stupid two oxygen sensors input without tripping the ECU. They seem to interfere very heavily in the fueling that I cant even use the simple tricks like adjusting the MAP sensor voltage to go a little rich . The ECU will just cut it back again. If I can override the their signal or plug in a simulator or whatever and design a fuel return line to the tank with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator shouldn't this do the job? Love to hear ideas on this.

I've got my AEM doing part throttle AFRs into the low 13s in the 2K-3Krpm w/o a CEL. The grid is 17 pressure points X 21rpm points and you can adjust the values however. I have 0 RPM, 500 RPM, then used the autofill function to 5350 rpm which turned out to be 255rpm increments(you can make them 200rpm increments if you choose to lower your redline). It fits my use nicely and I paid $315 for the FIC and $145 for the harness.

Ya I haven't tuned a jeep yet lol and when I do I'll be using adjustable map sensor.
Gradon knows his sh*t though, so he can deffinetly help in that area.
Me I can help with just about anything else!

thanks guys, i ordered my AEM FIC and extension harness today, gradon, if you dont mind i'll need your help when i'm installing it as it's my 1st time to do this and i'm not really good with wiring.

Oow this is gonna be fun:) Get yourself a holset turbo and be done...holsets are everywhere and cost pennys lol..Local JY always have them. Can be found on fleebay for penny's...well worth it to..And they cost nothing to rebuild which is always a plus...

I think a Hy35 would suit the jeep well, small enough to spool like crazy but big enough to not run out of breathe, even though we only run 5500rpms lol.

casual, cant find a used Holset HY35 on the internet!, have any links I can follow , or put me in contact with someone who can?

I like your practical approach to things, I need to find a place whee I can buy a decent used / rebuilt turbo that would suit the 4.0

I'll get you a turbo that'll fit...but it depends what you want and where you want to end up...8-10lbs max with a fast spool? Want it to be a screamer up top or more of a mid-range type or car?
Boostwerks can also comment here on sizing and he has turboed his XJ..I just know alot about turbos lol. He knows about turboing a XJ.

casual that would be great if you can source me a nice used one.
I checked the one bryson(boostwerks) used, I think it was a Borgwarner T3/T4 with a 57 P trim turbine. But it looks HUGE to me.

I just need something that as you said, would start spooling at 2500 to 2800 and then really deliver from 3000 to 5000, and be in a very good condition of course. what I'm after is lets say an output equivalent to a stong 4.6 storker, hopefully 280crank hp, not more. and 100% drievability.

If you need numbers I calculated the 4.0 would need from 370 to 440 cfm ( range is due to different assumption of volumetric efficiency in the calculation )at 8 psi which is a pressure ratio of 1.54. That is about 28 to 32 lb/min of air flow.

Since i already have a flowdaddy header that I dont want to throw away, I think I'll mount it just downstream of the header inplace of the y shaped downpipe, place it as close to the engine block as possible then fabricate a custom down pipe. please take a look at these pics and tell me what you think
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65494381@N07/6037933621/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65494381@N07/6037936507/in/photostream

and casual, I think I need a physically small turbo, I need the outermost compressor housing diameter not to exceed 6 inches , otherwise the upper left control arm will hit the turbo when the suspension flexes.

Bryson ( boost wekrs ) if you read this appreciate your input on my calculations and assumptions I sent you a PM but obviously your busy:)

We are talking Hy35 for size them...it'll come on sooner and be just fine for the boost you'll run..Probably have your 8lbs around 2700....remember though downstream= more lag so you may get it around 3k or so..
Definetly start thinking about heat sheild now though! And how you'll run all that intercooler piping!!!! We aint got much room under there for it!
Sell the header mount in the engine bay..These alot to think about when doing a car...Think where you could run piping...would you have room at flex..will water get to it. with debree?

hey casual, what about the physical dimensions of the turbo itself , and are there any other alternatives to the HY35. I was thinking if something that can be pulled of a popular OEM turbo car, evo, eclipse, etc..

I got the intercooler piping figured out theres lots of empty space beneath the air filter , where the water hose exiting the radiator goes to the block/ water pump. The piping should come from behind the left water mount where the turbo is to the intercooler . I'm currenlty making mock-up rubber piping for everything.

what do you recommend for pipe thickness to be used in the custom collector that I will fabricate?, and the flange thickness.?

I think I could benefit a lot from a phone call with you if that's possible, need to get my head around how to tune the fuel map when the car is started 1st time with the turbo.

here's my preliminary part list so far:

- Used turbocharger

- Custom collector with flange

- custom downpipe from turbo to exhaust.

- blow off valve

- air to air inter-cooler

- AEM FIC 6 with harness

- methanol injection kit

- Oil filter T fitting

- oil lines and oil pan weld one bung

- 24lb/hr injectors

- silicone hoses and various aluminum piping for plumbing

- various brackets and fittings

- stick on heat shields.

Back