• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 oil sender

CJXJPIT

NAXJA Forum User
Just finishing up a 4.0 swap into my CJ. Was told to swap out all the old senders & switches (oil,water, trans, transfer...) so gauges and lights would work. On the old 258 engine the oil sender has a dome looking thing with one wire and also a two plug looking sender next to it. On the 4.0 it just has the two plug sender looking deal mounted just above oil filter. Could any one tell me if I must swap both of the parts from the 258 to the 4.0 to get oil preasure gauge to work right?

Frank Z,
I am using the donar computer (60 pin) but bit the bullet and went with the Hesco harness. I am just trying to get all my stock (oem) CJ gauges and lights to operate.
Thanks for any help.

You're in a pickle then my friend.

The signal from the PCM is not compatible with your OEM CJ gauges.

Jeep useda the CCD Bus to carry the gauge signal from the PCM to the gauge cluster. You'll need a second set of sending units (CJ, OEM for the previous engine) to provide the correct signal to your current gauges.

The 4.0L sending units are still needed to provide all relavent data to the PCM for proper engine management.

You're in a pickle then my friend.

The signal from the PCM is not compatible with your OEM CJ gauges.

Jeep useda the CCD Bus to carry the gauge signal from the PCM to the gauge cluster. You'll need a second set of sending units (CJ, OEM for the previous engine) to provide the correct signal to your current gauges.

The 4.0L sending units are still needed to provide all relavent data to the PCM for proper engine management.

I thought the 60 pin ECU's did not broadcast the oil pressure data on the CCD bus, only the 97+ does that.

In any case the best solution is just to use a "T" and run both the XJ sensors and the CJ sensors off of the existing pressure port.

Thanks for your comments but I think Im even more confused now. I thought because these were feeds just coming out of the old fuse block and were not part of the engine harness all they needed to see was a 12 volt signal and they had to be mated up with there original gauge because diffrent senders sent diffrent readings. Just what I have been told but by no means no much about eletrical. I do have all the original CJ seenders but didnt think I would have to run both. Certainly some one else has done this swap and could address how they went about hooking up there gauges and the 4-wd light. I belive the switch on the trans (I swaped to a AX-15) is just for reverse lights. I could probably do without those cause it's just my little hunting buggy.:doh:

Back