• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 i-6 DIFFERENCES?

did you run into any complications at all or was direct bolt on? are you going to use the renix intake manifold or the h.o. manifold that came with head?

Main issue is getting the renix TB to mount on the 99+ intake manifold or getting the renix TPS to adapt to the HO TB. You don't want to go through the trouble of adding the 99+ intake if you're gonna keep the poorer flowing 2686 renix head. The other issue is that you'll need a 96+ power steering bracket/tensioner combo in order to use the 99+ intake(has different mounting bolts for the ps pump). 91-95 7120s will have the port for the cts that feeds the dash gauge in renixs. Some 96 0630s have the port(my 1/96 does), but 97-99s 0630s do not. You can always extend the single conductor wire and tap the T-stat housing to install the sensor if you come across a good deal on a 97-99 0630 head.

Main issue is getting the renix TB to mount on the 99+ intake manifold or getting the renix TPS to adapt to the HO TB. You don't want to go through the trouble of adding the 99+ intake if you're gonna keep the poorer flowing 2686 renix head. The other issue is that you'll need a 96+ power steering bracket/tensioner combo in order to use the 99+ intake(has different mounting bolts for the ps pump). 91-95 7120s will have the port for the cts that feeds the dash gauge in renixs. Some 96 0630s have the port(my 1/96 does), but 97-99s 0630s do not. You can always extend the single conductor wire and tap the T-stat housing to install the sensor if you come across a good deal on a 97-99 0630 head.

did you run into any complications at all or was direct bolt on? are you going to use the renix intake manifold or the h.o. manifold that came with head?

I 'm using the Renix manifold and gasket.

You don't have to, but I match the ports on the HO head to the Renix gasket and eliminate the little lip. Probably don't need to as many others have done this swap without doing it.

I believe the Renix era blocks had higher nickel content and did not wear as rapidly, not that any really wear rapidly!

I have also read about something called an mexican block that the jeepspeed guys use. I think it is a thinker casting or somthing alonethose lines.

I have also read about something called an mexican block that the jeepspeed guys use. I think it is a thinker casting or somthing alonethose lines.

I heard of that Mexican block, too. Years ago, when the guy from Jeep Racing lived here in town and I was service manager at the local dealership, he built a supercharged 4.5 or 4.6 2WD Comanche. He said they used the Mexican block.

I remember reading somewhere that the Mexicans got a 4.5 as standard equipment. Never followed up on it.

so im kinda confused here. stroke the renix block use the 7120 head and the 91-95 intake manifold but i have to port match them. is this smog legal in ca? i thought that the renix manifold has the egr and the newer ones dont.

Renix has EGR. 7120 head does not need to be port matched to a 91 through 99 manifold.

If you wanna run a 7120 head on a Renix vehicle in California, you would need to use the Renix manifolds, TB, and all sensors to be legal. Match porting isn't absolutely necessary but I do it. For added performance and flying under the radar of the emission police, you could get a 60mm bored TB from www.strokedjeep.com . Nobody would know but you.

so, i have built a 4.6 to go into my 90 MJ, but the block and head for it is out of a 93 HO cherokee. as far as i know i dont see why you couldnt bolt the head off an HO to a regular 4.0 but you may want to ask your local machine shop guy

Back